<< Return to Search

Monument
Information

  • Index Number

    315
  • Parish

    CRAIGIE
  • NGR 1

    NS408316
  • NGR 2

  • Council

    SOUTH AYRSHIRE
  • Category

    Secular
  • Legal Document
    [PDF, .42 MB]

Craigie Castle

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a medieval castle which is surrounded by substantial earthworks. The castle stands on a low ridge 180m E of Craigie Mains farm. The earliest surviving portion is identified as a hall house of the late 12th or early 13th century. It appears to incorporate traces of an earlier structure. A subsequent building phase in the 15th century enlarged and modified the monument. The ridge on which the castle stands is cut by massive ditches to the SSW and NNE, while a third ditch to the NE forms an outer bailey. The area to be scheduled is irregular and measures a maximum of 345m NE-SW by 230m to include the castle and defensive outworks, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

National Importance

The monument is of national importance because it is a fine example of a medieval fortified site which combines surviving stone built structures and surrounding earthworks. In addition to preserving the remains of a rare 12-13th-century hall house, it has the potential through analysis and excavation to increase our understanding of defensive architecture, domestic occupation, material culture and landuse during the period of its construction and use.

Other Information

RCAHMS - NS43SW 3

MacGibbon and Ross (1889) Cast & Dom Archit Scot Vol. 3, 296-301.

RCAHMS-The Archaeological Sites and Monuments of Scotland, North Kyle, Kyle and Carrick District (25), No. 102. Aerial photographs are available from RCAHMS, 1977 (AY 2910-4).

<< Return to Search