<< Return to Search


  • Index Number

  • Parish

  • NGR

    NO 227 268
  • Council

    Perth And Kinross
  • Category

  • Legal Document
    [PDF, .6 MB]

Rait,old parish church


The monument consists of the remains of the pre-Reformation parish church of Rait. A church was recorded as an independant parsonage in 1274 and confirmed c.1395 to the uses of Scone by Walter, Bishop of St Andrews.

The church was abandoned in the early part of the 17th century when the parish of Rait was united with that of Kilspindie. The present ruin, which is likely to overlie the original 13th-century foundation, is situated in a fenced-off graveyard. It is rectangular-plan, measuring 20m E-W by 6.4m N-S over walls 0.8m thick. The masonry is random coursed rubble with freestone quoins and dressings bonded with lime mortar.

The E gable survives to its full height. The W gable is reduced to 1.5m and the N and S walls are fairly intact and stand to a maximum height of 2.5m. There is a square-headed entrance with chamfered jambs in the S wall near the W end. A moulded jamb near the E end may indicate the position of a second door. The E gable has an upper level window, the character of which is obscured by ivy and a square-headed lower level window with deeply splayed inner jambs.

On either side of the entrance are square-headed windows with chamfered dressings. The W is grooved for glazing and the E one is incomplete. The area to be scheduled is rectangular, extending 2m from the exterior walls of the church and measuring a maximum of 24m E-W by 10.4m N-S, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

National Importance

The monument is of national importance because it is an example of a simple church of pre-Reformation date which shares characteristics with a large group of religious buildings designed primarily for lay use. As such it provides evidence and has the potential to provide further evidence through excavation and analysis which may contribute to our knowledge of the parish system, church design and layout, ecclesiastical history and material culture during the period of its construction and use.

Other Information

RCAHMS records the monument as NO22NW 3.

<< Return to Search