Auchinleck Old House
The monument consists of the remains of a fortified house of L-shaped plan. The building, situated in Braid Wood on the E side of the Lugar Water, is known as "Auchinleck Old House" or "Place of Auchinleck". The seventeenth-century house is constructed of roughly squared red sandstone. The external measurements of the long arm of the L are 23m N-S by 8.3m E-W. The short arm of the L extends 7.2m E from the NE corner.
The walls are 0.7m-0.8m thick. The house was originally four stories high (five in the tower), but the walls are greatly depleted and only stand to a height of 5m in the NE. Elsewhere, they are reduced to 2-3m. The ground floor in the NE wing is split into three vaulted compartments: a lobby and two rooms. There was originally a saddle-back tower with crow-stepped gables in the re-entering angle but this has been demolished.
There are entrances in the E wall of the main section and the S wall of the E wing. The lower floor has slit windows only. There are square-headed windows on the first floor, one in the W and one in the N wall. There is a terraced area to the W of the house. The area to be scheduled is rectangular and measures 30m N-S by 30m 40m E-W to include the castle and an area surrounding it which may contain evidence of occupation activity, as shown in red on the accompanying map.
The monument is of national importance because it is a good example of a fortified domestic structure. It may conceal buried evidence which through excavation could clarify the ground plan and the extent of the outer courtyard.
RCAHMS records the monument as NS 52 SW 4.
MacGibbon, D. and Ross, T. (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v, Vol. 3, 496-7, Edinburgh.