BORELAND VILLAGE, HUTTON AND CORRIE PARISH CHURCH, CHURCHYARD AND GATEPIERS (Ref:9911)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
Hutton And Corrie Parish.
It is a category A building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 167 905.
Rectangular-plan church built probably first quarter 18th
century, perhaps incorporating earlier fabric; N jamb added
1763 (dated) forming T-plan. Vestry and porch added to W
gable 1858, George Schoular mason; renovated 1871 (?porches
on remaining gables added then), - Crombie of Dumfries
architect. Mainly harled; margins, porches and belfry all red
ashlar. Key-stoned basket-arched windows all 1763, inner
windows on long S elevation (flanking pulpit) heightened by
Crombie, windows to other elevations with cills lowered some
12" perhaps in 1st half of 19th century. Body of church is
fairly long and thick-walled. Open W porch has shouldered
doorway; birdcage belfry above (?by Crombie). Straight skews
with moulded skewputts; cross finial at W. All roofs covered
with graded slates.
Interior: good artisan monument dated 1757 with classical
ornament, on jamb E wall; pulpit has panelled front.
Churchyard enclosed mainly by iron fence, gate at NE, square
red ashlar corniced gatepiers with pyramidal caps; steps
alongside. Some good 17th-19th century headstones; Shaw
enclosure against church E wall.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. OSA gives 1764 as
date of building. E-W orientation of body of church may
indicate re-use of pre-Reformation fabric, but harling
prevents further analysis.
Change of Category B to A 22.2.88
SRO HR 422/1 & 2 George Hay, ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH
POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES, 1957, p 254 OLD STATISTICAL
ACCOUNT, Vol XIII p 576 NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, p 544 THIRD
STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, p 396
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.