BEATTOCK VILLAGE, THE OLD BRIG INN, HOTEL AND OUTBUILDINGS (Ref:9908)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 7754 2830.
Thomas Telford. Built 1821. Coaching inn, with stable
courtyard to rear (W) below road level.
INN: 2 storeys, irregular U-plan with symmetrical 5-bay E
front; built on slope with basement to courtyard. Coursed and
partly cherry-caulked squareed whin rubble with contrasting
painted ashlar margins and long and short worked dressings.
E elevation: central doorway, 2 baseless Tuscan columns in
antis supporting entablature; blind tripartite above;
otherwise single windows, sashes, with 12-pane glazing
pattern, corniced and aproned at ground with margins linked
to base course (aprons continued on 3-bay flanks - wider N
flank with tripartites to inner bay). Eaves course, cornice
and blocking course continued over all elevations (blocking
course raised centrally over main door). Symmetrically placed
stacks (in pairs linked by arches). Piended slate roof with
leaded platform. Round-headed W-facing stair window between
INTERIOR: hallways with arched openings; cantilevered stone
stair with cast-iron balustrade; vestibule with
Tuscan-columned screens; reception with ?key-safe; moulded
cornice plasterwork; vaulted cellar in basement and cast iron
ovens in kitchen.
STABLES: 2 storeys, upper openings to lofts, whitewashed whin
rubble and ashlar dressings. Originally 2 adjoining ranges
about court; S end of courtyard closed by plain mid 19th
century skewed range. Wide depressed-arched pend in N range;
5-bay W range has 3-bay carriage house with tall
square-headed openings, narrow pend (to midden) with
depressed archway on W wall; full-height (later) wing returns
W from S end. All roofed with graded slates.
Formerly Beattock Inn; built at Government expense, in association with the Glasgow/Carlisle road. GD 253/167/9 No 4 requests £1800 or £2000 for the building of an inn at Beattock ¿to a plan given by Mr Telford¿. Continuous references to Telford in other correspondence at the NAS indicates that he was directly involved with the building of the inn. Total cost of building $4520:2:10. Change of Category B to A 22.2.88
in the National Archives including GD253/167/9 (No 4, letter dated 24 Feb 1820), GD253/167/21 and GD253/92.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.