RAEHILLS HOUSE (Ref:9898)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 6375 9433.
Alexander Stevens architect of L-plan mansion circa 1786;
wide centre-bowed terrace to E and superimposed colonnades,
also presumably by Stevens (?circa 1790), latter perhaps a
design modification before original building scheme was
completed; new S front by William Burn 1830-34, filling
re-entrant angle. Low service court at NE. Castellated
mansion dramatically sited above valley and garden terraces.
2/3 storeys with basement. Built mostly of coursed red
ashlar; roofs slated, and mostly concealed by parapets.
Stevens' work in Robert Adam's castellated style with tiny
bartizans and machicolated and crenellated parapets;
additions fairly sympathetic but with cross-windows.
Original house: mainly 2 storeys, 3-storey centres to 3
elevations with parapets linked at roof platform. 7-bay N
elevation with round-headed ground floor openings, columned
porch (cf. colonnade detailing) in shallow advanced centre;
continuous band at impost level. 3-bay W flank rubble-built
with tripartites, Burlington windows at ground.
(Principal) E elevation: pyramidal composition of 4 recessed
and diminishing stages with 3-storey bowed centre forming
apex; segmental-arched and balustraded deep, wide terrace at
basement level extends beyond house either side, colonnades -
also balustraded - full width of house at ground, and
clasping bow at 1st floor.
S elevation (by Burn): 3-storey massive square tower left has
recessed inner bay, round-arcched main entrance with oriel
above and deep corbelling; flank of original house is
recessed right and altered by Burn, with canted window and
castellated gable head. Good interior.
Colonnaded bow, if part of original conception (see RHP
series) compares with that at Culzean by Robert Adam (built
1777-92). Sundial to E of house is dated 1837(?) (indistinct
lettering) and compares with sundial at Shaw House, Hutton
Change of Category B to A 22.2.88
SRO RHP Series. Colvin, BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH
ARCHITECTS 1600-1840, 1978, pp.164, 781.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.