CALLY PALACE HOTEL, FORMERLY CALLY HOUSE (Ref:9854)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 04/11/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 600 549.
Robert Mylne, architect, for James Murray of Broughton, 1763-5. Substantial, classically detailed country house. Flanking wings raised and linking corridors added, Thomas Boyd 1795. Extensive alterations and remodelling of interior, addition of porch, 1833-7, J B Papworth. Grounds landscaped by James Ramsay, late 18th-century Mid 20th-century extensive and unsympathetic additions to flanking wings during conversion to hotel. Symmetrical layout, central 6-bay, pedimented, 3-storey centre block linked by banded masonry corridor wings to 2-storey pavilions, further modern additions, especially to left side. All built over deep basement. Polished granite masonry with red sandstone architraves. Channelled to ground, band course over ground. CENTRAL BLOCK: 3-storey with 6 bays unusually arranged 1-2-2-1 with central 4 bays advanced under pediment with oculus. To ground, projecting massive granite portico with monolithic Doric columns supporting plain entablature, pilastered porch, massive panelled doors. All windows single light, red sandstone margins, sash and case with 12-pane glazing, 2nd floor windows with 6-pane glazing. Heavy eaves cornice, plain parapet. Tall corniced stacks, piend and platform roof. REAR ELEVATION: 3-bay with central 3-window bowed bay. Bowed bay contains 2 storeys only, giving large formal rooms. 4-bay flanks. PAVILIONS AND COMMUNICATING WINGS: 3-bay, 2-storey wings link main house to 5-bay, 2-storey pavilions. Pavilions and upper floor of wings have bays defined by pilasters, heavy cornice over ground, balustraded parapet to pavilions. 5-bay flanks to pavilions similarly treated. REAR ELEVATION: both the corridor wings have suffered incongruous alterations, that to left with full-height glazed front, that to right with flat roofed terrace. The pavilions retain more of their original appearance being lesser versions of the main block. 5-bay with central 3-window bowed bay, all windows sash and case with multi-pane glazing. Piended slate roof, tall corniced stacks. Flanking and recessed from the pavilions are large modern blocks giving bedroom accommodation. INTERIOR: Mostly dating from Papworth's 1837 alterations. Elaborate marble hall with deeply coffered ceiling. Elaborate plaster cornice work to main public rooms. Dining room with fruit and flower cornice; bow-ended drawingroom with coved ceiling, elaborate carved timber or marble chimneypieces.
N.M.R.S. Stell; EXPLORING ... DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY, 1987, p
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.