Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

EWES PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD (Ref:9730)

This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the Ewes Parish. It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1971.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: NY 369 909.

Description

James Burnet of Ewesbank, Langholm, architect. Dated 1867. Rectangular-plan 5-bay Gothic church. Snecked and squared rubble

with contrasting ashlar dressings. Pointed-headed openings: all hood-moulded except at W. Gabled porch at N end of E wall,

recessed 2-leaf door with columned jambs; 3-light window with

columned jambs and mullions below cusped openings on either main

gable, S window below relieving arch and gabled apex belfry

(other gables all cross-finialed): continuous string at cill

level, buttresses to bays and at angles: saw-toothed skews; all

roofed with graded slates. Vestry on W wall. Ungalleried

interior. Churchyard enclosed by rubble built walls, gate and

spiked cast-iron railings at W on low coping. 17th-20th century

stone monuments and site of St Cuthbert's Church; Tuscan Malcolm

family tomb chest circa 1803; panelled and urn-finialed Laurie

monument circa 1814.

1652 bell signed Jacobus Monteith mounted on tree to E of church.

Notes

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. RCAHM Inventory, 1920, notes bell.

References

Eskdale and Liddesdale Advertiser, 2.10.1867. Groome, Gazetteer, n.d. (2nd. ed) vol II p.558

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).