INVERERNE HOUSE (Ref:8692)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 3237 6057.
1818. On earlier site. Symmetrical 2-storey over raised basement, 3-bay house. Tooled ashlar, polished ashlar dresings and margins. Wide, slightly advanced open-pedimented centre bay, the base cornice of the pediment supported by paired giant pilasters with stylised foliated capitals: oculus in centre of tympanum. Centre entrance reached by splayed flight of steps oversailing raised basement, with decorative cast-iron balustrade. Tripartite doorpiece with panelled pilasters, those flanking door with stylised foliated capitals, continuous entablature breaking forward over door; Gothic glazing to upper panes of side lights, keystoned, Gothic traceried fanlight above. centre 1st floor keystoned Venetian window with reeded Corinthian pilasters and blocked cill, decorative tracery to centre light. Moulded window surrounds to front ground and 1st floor fenestration; regular window openings in 3-bay return gables; 6-pane glazing to raised basement, 12-pane elsewhere with decorative glazing to centre bay fenestration. Ashlar quoins; band course above raised basement. Deep eaves band with eaves cornice and blocking course; urns crown pediment; end corniced wallhead stacks; piended, platformed slate roof.
INTERIOR: entrance hall leading to stairhall with cantilevered staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and polished wooden handrail. DRAWING ROOM: decorative plaster ceiling cornice and central rose; beaded panelled dado with reeded detailing; beaded panelling to window shutters and doors. White marble chinmeypiece.
DINING ROOM: similar decorative detailing to drawing room.
1ST FLOOR: some alteration to front 1st floor rooms and landing.
Invererne was formerly called Tannachy, belonging to the
Tulloch family from 16th to 18th centuries, sold in 1772
to Alexander Urquhart of Maryland, USA. It was bought in
1817 by General William Grant who built the present
mansion; after his death in 1832 the estate was sold to
Colonel Peter Grant who married Mary Anne Peterkin of
Grange, taking the name Grant Peterkin. The name of the
property was changed from Tannachy to Invererne by 1834.
Change of Category B to a, 25.4.89.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp. 98-100.
John G Dunbar, THE HISTORIC ACHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (1966)
p. 124. Grant of Tannachy Papers, Moray District Record
Office, ZBFo ZT
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.