Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

DALLAS DHU DISTILLERY (Ref:8689)

This building is in the Moray Council and the Forres Parish. It is a category A building and was listed on 25/04/1989.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: NJ 035 566.

Description

1899. Distillery complex including office block, mash house, still house, kiln, malt barn. Harl pointed rubble, tooled ashlar dressings, some brick, some whitewashed exterior walling.

Kiln with ogee slated roof and pagoda lovered apex vent. Tall red brick chimney, square on plan, with contrasting yellow brick quoins. Long 2-storey malt-barn with symmetrical 12-bay S elevation.

BONDED WAREHOUSES: range of 5 bonded warehouses with continuous gable ends; mainly single storey, but E block of 2-storeys.

DISTILLERY WORKER`S COTTAGES: 1899. 2 pairs 2-storey, 2-bay E facing houses. Brick walling at ground floor and dummy timber framing at 1st floor. Entrances in outer bays, Nos1 and 4 with gabled waether boarded porches; large segmental-headed ground floor front windows; large centre 2-window gabled dormers; varied glazing. Centre brick ridge stacks; jerkin-headed slate roofs with red pottery ridges.

Rear and gable end single storey additions.

Notes

Dallas Dhu Distillery is a Guardianship Monument in Care. It is notable for survival of traditional whisky distilling fittings and machinery. 2 houses (including manager's house) to N of Manachy Burn not included in listing. Scheduled Monument 24 January 2000.

References

John Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND ii (1977), p. 233.

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).