EAST GRANGE MILL (Ref:8665)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 25/04/1989.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 9512 6168.
Mid and later 19th century but probably incorporating earlier
core. Long rectangular 2-storey cornmill on sloping site
with long elevations E and W and with approach ramp at S
gable giving access to loft. Harl pointed rubble, tooled
rubble dressings. Overshot millwheel at E elevation served by
raised lade. Various doorways and windows in long W elevation
and small single storey lean-to extension. Tall octagonal
ridge kiln vent; slate roof.
INTERIOR: all machinery complete and in reasonable working
order; 2 sets of millstones, 1 pair dating from circa 1898.
A mill is indicated at East Grange in circa 1590 on map drawn
by Rev Timothy Pont; there may have been an even earlier one
serving the medieval Cistercian Abbey at Kinloss, East Grange
then being part of the abbey lands. The present building may
incorporate fabric of the mill known to have been standing
in 1746. East Grange mill ceased full-time working in 1975-6
due to the retirement of the miller but continues in partial
farm use for bruising cattle feed.
David Milne, 'The East Grange Mill - a Note on its Primary
Machinery', MORAY FIELD CLUB BULLETIN 4 (1976), pp.14-17.
John Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND ii (1977),
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).