GRANGE HALL (Ref:8661)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 25/04/1989.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 063 605.
1805, said to be designed by William Stark, Edinburgh;
additions and alterations 1837, and by John Rhind, Inverness,
1881; further additions 1898. Mansion of 2 storeys and attic
over rock-faced raised basement, 5-bay S (main) front. Tooled
ashlar frontage, coursed rubble flanks and rear, polished
Wide, slightly advaned and pedimented centre bay delineated
by paired giant pilasters with stylised foliate capitals.
Centre tripartite doorpiece masked by later classical portico
supported by stumpy Roman Doric widely spaced columns resting
on and integral with balustrade flanking flight of steps
oversailing raised basement. Attic storey raised over 4
angles in 1881; French pavilion roofs each fronted by open
pedimented wallhead dormer with segmental-headed window (8
dormers in all).
3-bay return elevations, at W with later projecting
pilastered tripartite opening onto balcony at S from which a
balustraded flight of steps descends to garden. Substantial
single storey and basement, 4-bay rear addition with flat
roof surrounded by ashlar balustrade and rear stair tower
rising 1 stage above roof, this stage with clasping pilaster
strips and arcaded panels, crowning cornice and parapet.
2- and 12-pane glazing; corniced wallhead and centre stacks;
piended platform roofs.
1898 screenwall extends E with round-headed doorway and
monogrammed typanum under open pediment; rock-faced ashlar
lower courses, tooled ashlar upper portion; ashlar cornice,
blocking course and ball finials. Keystoned oculi flank gate,
2 similar in basement flanking front steps.
INTERIOR: fine entrance-stairhall with enriched decoratively
banded plaster ceiling, fluted columned screen supporting
Doric entablature and cantilevered staircase with ornate
DRAWING ROOM AND PARLOUR (SITTING ROOM): open off hall at W, intercommunicating through double doors; decorated plaster
ceilings; beaded panelled doors, dados, window shutters,
bracketted overdoors with neo-classical details to frieze;
white marble chimneypieces.
DINING ROOM: opens off hall at E; swagged plaster cornice and
carved overdoors with similar motif; bracketted and corniced
buffet recess; grey marble chimneypiece; beaded panelled
doors, dados and window shutters.
Grange Hall estate purchased about 1800 by John Gordon
Peterkin 'of Grange and Greshop' (Forres), who built the
mansion house in 1805. He was succeeded by his sister Mary-
Anne who married Major Grant of Invererne, taking the name
of Grant Peterkin. The estate remains in possession of this
William Stark, (1770-1813) was an architect of unusual
ability who died young.
The ground floor public rooms of Grange Hall appear little
altered from 1805, retaining their original decoration and
fittings, all of excellent quality.
W Leslie, GENERAL REVIEW OF THE AGRICULTURE OF THE COUNTIES
OF NAIRN AND MORAY (1813), pp.52-3. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT
xiii (1842), pp.206, 208. FORRES GAZETTE, 12 Jan 1881;
advertisement for tenders.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.