ARDENTINNY CHURCH OF SCOTLAND (Ref:86)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 20/07/1971.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 1879 8755.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Ardentinny Church, built in 1838-9, is a rectangular gable-fronted church with a gabled porch and a small bellcote. It is simple in its design and largely without ornament, but reflects well on the status of Ardentinny at the time, a small village, reliant on fishing and ferry traffic.
For its position in the development of Ardentinny, its prominent and picturesque location and the contribution it makes to the streetscape, in particular in relation to the adjacent cottages, as well as for its unaltered condition, is found to be of specific interest.
The entrance to the church (on the NW elevation) is through a basket-arched door with a chamfered ashlar surround. The two-leaf panelled timber door has a plain fanlight above. Both the main church building and the front porch have saddle-backed skews. The bellcote to the apex is on a dentilled plinth, with stop-chamfered round-arched openings. The side elevations consist of three large 16-lying-pane timber sash and case windows. To the rear is a small projection containing the vestry. To the front of the church is a rubble boundary wall with semicircular copes.
Interior: the interior is largely undecorated, with timber boarding to dado height and plain timber pews. Behind the altar is a dark timber sounding-board and canopy. The flat ceiling, at collar height is decorated only with a plain cornice and linear mouldings.
Materials: white painted harled rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings. Graded slate roof. Timber sash and case windows.
The church at Ardentinny was built in 1838-9, paid for by Archibald Douglas, the Laird of Glenfinart, who had recently purchased the estate (Ardentinny Pamphlet, 2004). Initially, the church was a Chapel of Ease or preaching station, probationers of the church acting as parochial missionaries (New Statistical Account, 1845). From 1874 Ardentinny Church had its own minister but since 1932 the church has shared a minister with Strone church.
Part of a B-group with Blinkbonny, Raglan, Fern Cottage and Glencairn immediately to the S (see separate listing).
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c.1898); New Statistical Account for Scotland (c1845); Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer (1885); Ardentinny Church and Village Story (pamphlet) (n.d.); Walker, F.A and Sinclair, F., North Clyde Estuary: an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 137; Walker, F.A., Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 113.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.