TOMBAE, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE INCARNATION AND BURIAL GROUND (Ref:8476)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 217 256.
John Gall, Aberdeen, 1827-9, interior completed and re-modelled by Bishop James Kyle, possibly with design assistance from Rev Walter Lovi, 1843-4. Gothic Church; orientated approximately E/W with entrance in gabled W front. Tooled pink granite ashlar front and dressings, harl pointed flanks and rear. Unusual plan incorporating priest's quarters under the same roof. 3-bay W front delineated and flanked by stepped buttresses terminating with pinnacles; coped and partially crenellated wallhead. Centre pointed-headed recessed entrance with (blank) datestone above; narrow flanking 2-light windows and 3-light above door, all with simple wooden tracery and lattice-pane glazing. 3-bay flanks with windows as in W (at extreme E divided vertically and half blind). Simple square-headed doorway in NE. E gable with similar fenestration as W with no buttresses and small centre ground floor window. Apex crosses; slate roof. INTERIOR: simple entrance lobby with local flagstone floor. Lofty vaulted interior with narrow side aisles; ribbed vaulting supported by timber panelled cast-iron columns with decorative plaster capitals and matching corbel stones set in aisle walls. Altar set in shallow chancel; W gallery houses organ with decorated pipes. Area between chancel and E gable formerly served as Presbytery (access by door in N elevation); now empty. BURIAL GROUND: square rubbled walled burial ground; 19th and 20th century tombstones, many of those of 19th century date being of finely inscribed local slate. Burial ground wall (1843) continues around W front of church with wide entrance flanked by simple capped gate-piers.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
A priest served the Tombae area from at least 1745, living
further upstream at Kinakyle by 1794. Nearby a 'new mass
house' was built about 1790, the ruins of which are marked on
1st ed OS, circa 1870. This 'masshouse' was superseded by
present Tombae church, which was opened for worship on Feb 2,
1829, though unfinished. Interior re-modelled and completed
1843-4 including insertion of priest's dwelling accommodation
in E portion; interior vaulted, lobby and organ gallery above constructed.
Tomintoul RC Church also has Presbytery incorporated within
River Livet formerly spanned by bridge opposite W entrance.
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1794), p. 35.
Peter F Anson, "Catholic Church Building in Scotland from the Reformation until the Outbreak of the First World War,
1560-1914", INNES REVIEW v (1954), pp. 125-140. NORTHERN
SCOT, 23 June 1979. Account of 150th anniversary of Tombae
church. Scottich Catholic Archives PL3/113, PL5/204, 206
(1827), BL 6/445/5-13; PL 3/311/1-6, IM 16/5, IM 32/2
(1843/44) BL6/402 (Burial ground).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.