BRAES OF GLENLIVET, CHAPELTOWN, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL SUCCOUR, CHAPEL HOUSE AND BURIAL GROUND (Ref:8470)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 241 209.
CHURCH: John Kinross, 1896-7. Scottish Romanesque. Rectangular church orientated roughly N-S fronted at S by 3-stage square gabled tower with entrance in centre of N face. Harled with pink tooled granite dressings. Recessed pointed-headed doorway with moulded surrounds double-leaf plank doors with ornate cast-iron hinges. Canopied niche above housing statue of Our Lady. Long and short angle dressings to tower, with crowstepped gabled, apex cross and grouped quatrefoil vents in each face. Long, 4-bay nave elevations lit by narrow hoodmoulded, round-headed lights with leaded glazing. Chancel lit by round-headed tripartite under continuous hoodmould in E elevation below diminutive arcaded eaves band. Lean-to sacristy at W. Slate roof. Church linked at W to Chapel House (see below). INTERIOR: richly stencilled lofty aisles interior; stencilled decoration continues to panelled gallery front across N end of church. High chancel with plain walls and richly decorated timber barrel vaulted ceiling; carved canopied reredos with paintings of saints flanking central picture of Our Lady, all with gilded backgrounds. 5-panelled front to altar, each panel illustrated with angel with musical instrument. Simple pine pews; facetted pulpit decorated with vines on ashlar base; marble font. CHAPEL HOUSE: 1830-40, raised to 2 storeys in later 19th century. SE facing 2-storey, symmetrical 3-bay house with symmetrical 3-window rear elevation, linked by 2-storey, single bay wing to chancel. Centre door masked by late 19th century gabled and glazed porch. 4- and 12-pane glazing; end stacks; Tomintoul slate roof. BURIAL GROUND: rubble walled burial ground to rear of church with 19th century tomb stones, many of local slate.
Church an ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Abbe Paul MacPherson of Wester Scalan had wished to establish
an RC parish church at Scalan after the closure of the
seminary in 1799 and the final departure of Rev James Sharp
in 1808. It was not until 1828 that he was given a piece of
barren ground at Littletown of Eskemulloch (now Chapeltown)
where he established a church and school, both superseded by
'Plans prepared by architect to Marquis of Bute' who was John
Kinross of Edinburgh.
Chapel House formerly served as Presbytery.
Drawing of former church in sacristy dated 1840. It was
probably designed in 1828 by Rev Walter Lovi, Priest at Keith
1825-37, also architect for Dufftown, Keith, Braemar and
Wick RC churches.
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87.
BANFFSHIRE ADVERTISER, 25 June 1896. BANFFSHIRE JOURNAL, 14
Sept 1897. Report of consecration. H Dunnet, INVERA'AN; A
STRATHSPEY PARISH (1919), pp. 117-9. Victory Gaffney,
TOMINTOUL, ITS GLENS AND ITS PEOPLE (1970), p. 46. Scottish
Catholic Archives PL 3/128 (1828)
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.