BALLINDALLOCH, FORMER RAILWAY BRIDGE OVER RIVER SPEY (Ref:8466)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 09/11/1987.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 168 368.
G McFarlane, Engineer, Dundee, 1863. Single span lattice-girder rivetted iron bridge with short plate-girder access span at each end with ornamental cast-iron handrail. Bullfaced rubble abutments and piers. Overall length approximately 250 feet.
Ballindalloch Railway Bridge is good example of a mid 19th century single span iron bridge. The bridge is a significant feature in the landscape with distinctive wrought-iron lattice girders, constructed of doubled hexagonal plate latticed sections.
The bridge was constructed as part of the Strathspey Railway, which ran from Boat of Garten to Dufftown, and later became part of the Great North of Scotland Railway. As well as being a passenger line, this railway transported large volumes of whisky distilled throughout the Strathspey area. The railway line was closed and dismantled in 1960 as part of national cuts to the railway network. A timber deck has been added so that the bridge can be used by walkers and cyclists as part of the Speyside Way route. The bridge crosses the River Spey which forms a boundary with Knockando Parish.
Bridge previously a Scheduled Monument. Removed from Schedule on 16 February 2006.
Evident on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (surveyed 1869-70, published 1874). J Hume, The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands (1977), p234. M Smith (1994) British Railway Bridges and Viaducts (1994) p87. R Paxton and J Shipway, Civil Engineering Heritage: Scotland Highlands and Islands (2007) pp135-136. RCAHMS, Canmore ID 16004.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.