BALLINDALLOCH CASTLE (Ref:8449)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 178 365.
Dated variously 1546 to 1850. Castellated mansion of varying
builds and heights with 1546 Z-plan tower house as core. All
harled with tooled and polished ashlar and granite dressings
Original entrance to castle from N flanked by 2 18th century
wings (1718 and later); re-cast to S in 1850 by Thomas
Mackenzie of Elgin. Imposing doorpiece in base of S tower
decorated with strapwork, text, armorial and monogram, dated
1546 and 1850. Further additions and re-modelling in 1850
including E wing and service court with arched E entrance.
Corbelled square cap houses to original tower house, slender
stair turrets within re-entrant angles; 19th century gabled
dormers with decorative detailing and monograms; bartizans
with slated conical roofs and apex finials. Mainly 12-pane
glazing; coped wallhead and ridge stacks; Banffshire slate
INTERIOR: vaulted entrance hall re-modelled 1850; richly
decorated ribs spring from central column; painted ashlar
baronial chimneypiece. Wide oak staircase opens off hall,
with turned and carved balusters. Further turnpike staircase
in 1602 tower.
Former 1st floor hall entirely re-decorated in 1850 in
consciously historicist manner, with panelled walls, doors and
window shutters; nail-head detailing to window embrasures and doorpieces; ornate strapwork and pendant plaster ceiling;
marble chimneypiece with flanking caryatids, coat of arms and
monogram. Panelled library with carved chimneypiece with
Z-plan tower house probably built by John Grant and his wife
Barbara Gordon. Ballindalloch remained property of Grant
family until death of General William Grant in 1806, when
estate passed to George MacPherson of Invereshie, later Sir
George MacPherson-Grant. 2nd Baronet, Sir John, commissioned
Thomas Mackenzie to alter and remodel castle in 1850.
Various re-set datestones outside and inside castle.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp. 48-51.
MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND BARONIAL ARCHITECTURE
OF SCOTLAND VI, (1892), pp. 61-3. Further information and
plans by courtesy of the present owner.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.