LEADHILLS VILLAGE SCOTS MINING COMPANY HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLS (Ref:732)
This building is in the South Lanarkshire Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 12/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 88616 14808.
Possibly by William Adam. Early classical piend-roofed 2-storey 3-bay house built 1734-6; originally free-standing, flanking near symmetrical jambs added with narrow linking bays; south jamb built 1736-7, north jamb added 1738-40 (slightly larger than south, with prominent pointed roof, and containing very grand room, now sitting room); pair parallel ranges flanking courtyard to west, range to north now a cottage, that to south (formerly stables) now roofless. ORIGINAL HOUSE: rendered as ashlar and painted, with contrasting margins (sash windows with 19th century glazing); central gabled timber porch to west; tall ashlar end stacks with moulded cornices. Entrance hall runs left from door and links with north jamb; curving timber stair facing door may be original. Timber-panelled room at north is lit from garden; rooms at south are full depth of house. Panelled doors, some with lugged architraves. NORTH JAMB: lit by key-stoned Venetian in east (garden) elevation; cube-shaped room, with domical vault above deep cornice; fireplace on north wall (stack similar to those of house), chimney piece replaced, but original pedimented overmantel survives; pair doors on south wall, opposite. Modern porch to garden in north linking bay; kitchen in south jamb. Enclosed by 18th century rubble-built garden walls (later alterations / repairs evident).
Built for James Stirling, manager of the Earl of Hopetoun's mines at Leadhills. Formerly known as "Mansion House". William Adam was closely associated with the Hopetoun family, and his name appears on one building account for providing timber. The gardens are carefully laid out, and contain probable ice house, ruins of small chapel, viewing platform above village.
Information from owner including references from Hopetoun archive.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.