BLAIRMORE PIER, FORMER TICKET OFFICE (Ref:6611)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 26/05/1993.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 19531 81743.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
The former ticket office, a small rectangular Swiss cottage style building with a decorative timber screen, was built c1873 to serve the steamer traffic to Blairmore Pier. The office makes a picturesque contribution to the collection of buildings at Blairmore Pier and is a rare surviving example of the style in the area.
The first pier was built at Blairmore in 1855 (McCrorie and Monteith, 1982, 43). A plan drawn for Campbell in 1857 (Smith, 1857) appears to show a different office, with a large verandah on the sea (E) side. In 1873 considerable improvements were carried out to the pier (Ordnance Gazetteer, 1882) and it is likely that this involved the construction of the present office. At present (2004) in poor condition, the small rectangular-plan office is of rubble with red sandstone dressings. To the S is a verandah with a pierced and arched timber screen and decorative wrought iron baluster panels, behind which is the square ticket window. To the N is a ruinous lean-to, probably built later as toilets. To the E and the W were small gabled canopies, but only that to the W has survived. On the E elevation there were two doors, but one was later blocked up to form a window.
Materials: whin and schist rubble with red sandstone dressings. Decorative timber screens and posts, wrought iron railings. Graded grey slate roof with overhanging eaves, bracketted to verandah.
The pier was built by Campbell of Monzie to serve and encourage further development N along the shore. Steamers to and from Arrochar and Lochgoilhead called regularly at Blairmore. Regular services to the pier ceased in 1971.
Part of a B-Group with Blairmore Pier and Hall and Blairmore Place (see separate listings).
In November 2004 consent was granted for the extension and alteration of the building to form a dwelling house.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Ordnance Gazzetteer of Scotland (c1882); Smith, G, Plan of Portinstuck Pier, Blairmore (1857), Register House Plan 2759; McCrorie, I and Monteith, J, Clyde Piers- A Pictorial Record (1982); Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 135-6; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 147; Photographs, NMRS.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.