BENMORE BOTANIC GARDEN, BENMORE HOUSE, GOLDEN GATES (Ref:6438)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category A building and was listed on 19/06/1992.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 13767 85047.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
The Golden Gates at Benmore are an example of exceptional wrought iron work and work of this standard is rare in Scotland. Although the setting of the gates has been somewhat compromised by their isolation and the removal of the associated lodge, they are of notable design and craftsmanship.
The gates, of c.1871 are hung on pedimented marble piers topped with wrought iron lanterns. The elaborate decoration is rococo-style: foliate and floriate with central concentric circles, each bearing the initials JD. The handles are in the form of female mythical figures. The gates and lanterns are both painted gold.
In 1870 the Benmore Estate was acquired by James Duncan, a Greenock Sugar Refiner, who carried out many improvements to the estate. The main entrance to the estate was originally here, and the relatively simple single-storey lodge demolished c.1995 was probably that built by architect Baird of Glasgow in c.1850.
The gates are thought to have been either commissioned by Duncan in Paris or purchased by him there and altered to include his initials. They are also thought to have been awarded a prize in a Paris exhibition of 1871, before being brought to Benmore. There were, however, no great exhibitions in Paris between 1867 and 1878 and the gates may have been exhibited in a smaller exhibition.
Benmore Estate is perhaps best known as the setting for Benmore Botanic Garden, run by the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. The garden and designed landscape is notable for the collection of coniferous trees, planted by successive owners since c1820.
Part of B-Group including Benmore House, Steading, North Lodge and Gates, `Puck's Hut', Fernery, Walled garden and the cottages to the E of it (see separate listings).
Within Benmore-Younger Botanic Garden Designed Landscape.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c.1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Forsyth, R, Memories of Dunoon and Cowal (1997); McLean, A, Chronicles of Cowal, Argyll, (2001); Land Use Consultants, An Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes, Vol.2, 1987; Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 132; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 144-6;. Walker, F A, Argyll and The Islands: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2003), 23-4; Information courtesy of David Younger (2004).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.