CLYNELISH BRORA DISTILLERY. (Ref:578)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 07/03/1984.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 896 055.
Dated 1820 and 1896. Distillery complex of two builds,
all rubble with tooled dressings. Centre L-plan, 2-storey
range with kiln with pyramidal slated roof topped with
pagoda cupola vent, in south arm, with mill room, boiler
house and stillhouse in long south facing elevation, with
tall, later iron banded brick chimney abutting north elevation. Datestone with joint Stafford/Sutherland arms in east gable;
bellcote with gilded weather cock at east gable apex.
3 parallel, mainly single storey, ranges, to south, with long
elevations facing east/west; 2 ranges comprise bonded
warehouses, 3rd includes various stores and former 2-storey,
3-bay house, now converted to industrial use.
To east, range of 7 parallel single storey bonded warehouses
dated 1896, with long elevations facing north/south, each
warehouse becoming progressively shorter in length towards
the north, the roughly triangular site being restricted by
the Clynelish burn to NE, each gable end becoming more
recessed, and stepped along the edge of the burn. Ball
finialled gables; West Highland slate roof.
Founded in 1819 by Sutherland Estate and "erected" for
$750. Enlarged in 1896 by Ainslie and Co. Modern distillery to
south of original complex not included in listing.
James Loch, IMPROVEMENTS ON THE ESTATES OF LORD STAFFORD
(1820) pp.28, 29. Plate 18. John Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL
ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND, ii (1977) p.312.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.