DALMENY VILLAGE, 20 MAIN STREET, DALMENY KIRK, ST CUTHBERT'S, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND, INCLUDING CHURCHYARD (Ref:5570)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1971.
Group Items: See notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NT 1444 7751.
Early 12th century, with 17th century additions and alterations; tower (incorporating earlier work) by Alfred Greig, 1937. Romanesque church comprising 3-bay nave with 3-stage square plan tower to W, single storey chancel and stilted apse stepping down to E, and Rosebery aisle projecting to N forming T-plan. Squared and droved sandstone ashlar walls with stugged and polished dressings and details. Base course, string course, corbelled eaves course to chancel and apse.TOWER: 3-stage, with angle buttress. Base course, with string course dividing stages. Blank stage at base, round-arched windows at 2nd stage, round arched arrowslits at third stage. Arrow slits on angle buttress. S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: elevation slightly advanced between centre and left bays; studded timber round-arched door flanked by double order of engaged Romanesque columns, arch-head enclosed by elaborately carved voussoirs, inner row with carvings of zodiacal and bestiary figures, outer row with projecting grotesque heads and Agnus Dei; blind intersecting arcade with paired columns and scalloped capitals, carved corbels at eaves. Window over string course in each bay comprising round-arched window with flanking nook-shafts and carved voussoirs to arch-heads. Raggle of former addition evident on lower chancel to right. Apse to outer right (see E elevation). N ELEVATION: doorway on N end of 1671 Rosebery Aisle comprising round arch with chevrons, supporting cornice, double order of engaged Romanesque columns with scalloped capitals; 2-leaf studded and panelled door with matching timber infill to arch head. 20th century lean-to addition to left, near re-entrant angle. Raggle of former addition on lower chancel to left. Round-arched doorway near re-entrant angle to W, with window aligned above. Carved armorial panel to left, bearing Primrose arms, with window aligned above. Apse to outer left (see below).E ELEVATION: lower symmetrical, semicircular-ended apse. Round- arched windows with engaged colonettes and carved voussoirs to N, S and E. Grotesque heads to corbels.INTERIOR: rib-vaulted roof. Romanesque arches with scalloped and chevroned capitals, human and grotesque heads to corbels. Acanthus pattern to abaci. Apse narrower than chancel, narrower in turn than nave. Medieval graveslabs in chancel and apse floor. Corbels, with human and grotesque heads. Various masons? marks. Timber pulpit, with evangelical beasts forming capitals, by H O Tarbolton, 1928. Stone font by Ian G Lindsay, 1950. Three stained glass lights in apse (Madonna and Child, St Margaret, St Theresa) by Lalia Dickson, 1942. Variety of stained glass windows. Graded grey slate roof with stone ridge. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Skews with bracket skewputts. CHURCHYARD: variety of graves and monuments, including table-tops and gravestones. Partly enclosed by random rubble wall, with semicircular coping.
B Group with 1-3 (inclusive) Easter Dalmeny Cottages, Gospatric House, 1-6 (inclusive) and 9-15 (inclusive) Dalmeny Village Main Street, Dalmeny Village Telephone Kiosk, Dalmeny Village War Memorial, 1-4 (inclusive) Wester Dalmeny Farm Cottages, Wester Dalmeny Farmhouse and Wester Dalmeny Steading (see separate listings).
The Rosebery aisle was built in 1671, rebuilt in the early 19th century, and restored in 1937. The W tower was built in 1937 on the foundations of the old tower, which had been demolished.
The churchyard has some very good examples of 17th and 18th century gravestones, including the supposed coffin of the church's builder, a huge structure with a head-cavity, and carved with winged beasts and religious figures. Some 18th century stones bear mason?s tools. The earliest noted gravestone is of 1678.
MacGregor Chalmers, Carter and Pratt, DALMENY KIRK (1904); RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS IN WEST LOTHIAN (1929); McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978); Scotland's Churches Scheme, CATHEDRALS, ABBEYS AND CHURCHES IN SCOTLAND (1996).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.