DUNDAS CASTLE, INCLUDING STABLE BLOCK (Ref:5512)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1971.
Group Items: See notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NT 1184 7668.
William Burn, 1818. 2-storey U-plan, with further enclosed stable court. Tudor-Gothic mansion, earlier tower house adjoining, listed separately. Polished ashlar sandstone, rubble to rears. Base course; eaves course; crenellated parapet; circular section angle towers with arrowslits. Predominantly hood moulded windows.S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-bay principal block flanked by angle towers; lower 6-bay wing adjoining to left. Broad Tudor-arched open porch with polygonal towers clasping angles; single window to left return; Tudor-arched doorway and flanking leaded windows; 2-leaf Gothic panelled doors and vestibule doors; 2 single windows at 1st floor above. Advanced 3-light window in advance bay to right, 2 windows at 1st floor above. Lower wing: 7-light canted window; traceried Tudor-arched window above with single windows in flanking bays to each floor; advanced 3-stage tower to left, with pointed-arch windows to 2nd and 3rd stages; bipartite and single windows at ground in remaining bays to outer left; Tudor-arched windows at 1st floor above. Single storey service wing linking to stable court.E ELEVATION: 8-bay, near symmetrical Tudor-arched windows to 1st floor with advanced and gabled 2-bay, flanked by octagonal towers, with carved armorial crest set in gablehead. 3-stage rectangular plan to right; single windows in remaining bays.N ELEVATION: 6-bay irregular disposition of single and bipartite windows; recessed wall with pointed arch doorways linking to earlier tower house, with lean to single storey building behind.Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Variety of pitched, monopitched and piended graded grey slate roofs. Tall clustered polygonal ashlar flues to ridge and wallhead. Cast-iron rainwater goods.STABLE COURT: William Burn, 1818. Single-storey U-plan, forming L-plan entrance forecourt with south front of mansion. Polished ashlar sandstone. Tudor arched gateway flanked by rounded towers at near-centre of E (Principal) elevation; panelled timber gate with decorative iron hinges, studs and handles. Crenellated frontages with angle pepperpots to E and S. Battered base course. Regular disposition of blind windows. Paired polygonal flues to ridges. Interior elevations: single storey and attic to E, roofless former hayloft and carriage houses to S, curtain wall to W, near-symmetrical 2-storey house, flanked by door with 3-pane fanlight, to service wing of mansion in NE reveal and panelled door with glazing door to left, to N. Tall Tudor carriage arch at NW corner. Timber sash and case windows. Cast-iron rainwater goods.INTERIOR: restored interior, adapted for part use as corporate entertaining venue. Rib vaulting in hall; 4-centred arches; foliated capitals and bosses. Gothic shutters; neo-Jacobean wainscotting to staircase, added by C H Greig in 1900; leaded and stained glass windows, with neo-Jacobean columns at 1st floor; coved and coffered ceiling with tooled bosses; Gothic panelling to doors in library, pilastered bookshelves; lining boards to gun room; panelling with dado rail in billiard room;
A Group with Blue Acre, Boat House, Brown Acre, Castleloch, Castle Grove, Dovecot, Dundas Castle Keep, Dundas Loch Bridge, Dundas Mains, Fountain Sundial, Ice House, Lilac Cottage, North Lodge, Rose Cottage, South Lodge and Walled Garden (see separate listings).
A drawing of Dundas Castle by David Allan (1793), shows the old castle next to the keep (listed separately).
The William Burn stable court was originally intended to have a clock tower over the entrance.
F Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND. VOL. II (1882), p412; J Small, MANSIONS AND CASTLES OF THE LOTHIANS. VOL. I (1883); C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978), pp51, 59, 190-92, 432; J Fawcett, SEVEN VICTORIAN ARCHITECTS (1976), p12.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.