MUGDOCK RESERVOIR, MUGDOCK COTTAGE (FORMER GLASGOW CORPORATION WATER WORKS) (Ref:51275)
This building is in the East Dunbartonshire Council and the
New Kilpatrick Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 08/12/2008.
Group Items: (See Notes),
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NS 55859 75487.
Circa 1870 with circa 1890 addition and 20th century additions and alterations. Single storey and attic, 3-bay gabled cottage with steeply-pitched roof, gabled porch, 2-storey addition to right and lower outshots to rear forming U-plan. Squared, snecked, stugged sandstone with ashlar dressings. Base course; fairly regular fenestration with projecting cills. FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 2-leaf timber panelled front door with fanlight in pointed-arch doorway to central gabled porch; flanking windows. 1890s extension slightly advanced to right with canted window at ground and basket-arched stone-mullioned bipartite above; 2 basket-arched windows to side return. Gabled outshots to rear with fairly regular fenestration. Entrance porch and dormer to N (side) elevation. Large 20th century additions to rear incorporating fabric of original outbuildings at ground.8-pane glazing in timber windows to original cottage (most 20th century replacements); plate glass in timber sash and case windows to 1890 extension. Corniced central ridge stack with clustered chimneys to original cottage; some plainer stacks to rear. Grey slate roof. Plain bargeboards.INTERIOR: encaustic tiled floor to original entrance lobby. Good timber-panelled interior doors and shutters. House subdivided and floor plan altered.
A-Group with Mugdock and Craigmaddie Reservoirs, Barrachan, Craigholm and North Lodge (also known as Craigmaddie Lodge).
A good, well-detailed cottage probably built for the reservoir superintendent and occupying a prominent position at the heart of the site. The cottage has historic importance as part of the Glasgow Corporation Water Works (see below) and makes a positive contribution to the Conservation Area around these important reservoirs.
Mugdock reservoir was opened in 1860 as part of the first phase of the Glasgow Corporation Water Works that brought water down from Loch Katrine. Craigmaddie reservoir, which is immediately adjacent (though entirely separate) from Mugdock, opened in 1897 as part of the duplication scheme. By the 1870s the area around Mugdock reservoir had been landscaped for use as a public park, reflecting the pride the Water Board and general public took in this internationally-renowned engineering achievement. Within this area a number of residences were built to house the numerous employees who were responsible for the smooth-running of the system and maintenance of the grounds. The pride and care taken with the appearance of the site is evident in this quirky and well-detailed building.
Glasgow's Lord Provost, Robert Stewart (1810-66) was the driving force behind the implementation of a municipally-owned water scheme to provide clean water to Glasgow's rapidly increasing population. Loch Katrine was identified as a suitable supply and after some objections from various parties, an Act of Parliament authorising the scheme was passed in 1855. The scheme was built in two main phases following this Act and another of 1885. The 1855 scheme was opened by Queen Victoria in 1859 and was fully operational by 1860.
The Loch Katrine Water Works was admired internationally as an engineering marvel when it was opened in 1860. It was one of the most ambitious civil engineering schemes to have been undertaken in Europe since Antiquity, employing the most advanced surveying and construction techniques available, including the use of machine moulding and vertical casting technologies to produce the cast-iron pipes. The scheme represents the golden age of municipal activity in Scotland and not only provided Glasgow with fresh drinking water, thereby paving the way for a significant increase in hygiene and living standards, but also a source of hydraulic power that was indispensable to the growth of Glasgow's industry as a cheap and clean means of lifting and moving heavy plant in docks, shipyards and warehouses. The civic pride in this achievement is visible in every structure connected with the scheme, and this well-detailed cottage is one of many expressions of this.
Listed as part of the thematic review of Glasgow's water supply system (2008).
Shown in historic photograph of straining well (Scottish Water), circa 1875. Shown on 2nd edition OS map (circa 1899). RCAHMS and Jelle Muylle, Glasgow Corporation Water Works Loch Katrine Scheme: Loch Katrine to Milngavie (survey report, not published, 2007).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.