ACADEMY STREET, INVERNESS STATION, LOCHGORM WORKS (Ref:50928)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 27/07/2007.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 6692 4563.
Circa 1860 with later alterations and additions. Irregular plan single and 2-storey workshop on irregular plan comprising single storey 35 bay, 4-track carriage shed and 2 shorter 2-storey rectangular plan ranges to rear. Predominantly tooled sandstone rubble, dressed quoins and long and short surrounds to openings. Red brick in part to later additions.
SE (CARRIAGE SHED) ELEVATION: 35 bays, blocked round-arched doorway to left of centre. Round arched windows in other bays.
SW ELEVATION: 4-bay M-gabled carriage shed to right with part blocked, round arched openings in all bays. 2-storey gable end adjoined to left with large square headed opening at ground to right; modern window to left; round arched tripartitie window centred in gablehead. Irregularly fenestrated, 2-storey, near M-gabled range to outer left with flat-roofed projection at centre.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay range to outer right with segmental headed openings, central single window and flanking tripartites at 1st floor. Single storey range to left with large, square headed opening to outer right; round arched windows to left.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bay, M-gabled carriage shed to left with 2-leaf, boarded timber doors in round-arched openings in all bays. Taller, brick-built gable end recessed to right. Single storey projection recessed to outer right.
Predominantly round-arched, cast iron window frames with small-pane glazing; some modern glazing to front sides and rear. Predominantly corrugated-metal roofs; grey slate in part.
INTERIOR: not seen at time of visit (1999).
One of the best surviving examples of its type, the Lochgorm works is particularly notable for its long carriage shed and the retention of its original fenestration.
The works were constructed by the Inverness and Nairn Railway and its successors for the construction and maintenance of locomotives and other stock. The shed is comparable with the engine sheds at Elgin and Strathspey (see separate listings).
1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1866). J R Hume, The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland, Vol 2, (1977), pp206-207. G Biddle and O S Nock, The Railway Heritage of Britain (1983), p165 & p170.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.