DALNAMEIN BRIDGE (LARGE) ON FORMER ROUTE OF A9 (Ref:50911)
This building is in the Perth And Kinross Council and the
Blair Atholl Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 11/07/2007.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NN 7557 6953.
Sir Owen Williams (engineer) with Maxwell Ayrton (architect), 1926-28. Single-span, skew-arched, open-frame reinforced concrete road bridge. 2 arched ribs supporting framework of single and paired square-plan concrete columns. Cantilevered carriageway with concrete parapet swept out at base, and slit balustrade over arch. Plain block concrete abutments at each end.
The complex supporting framework of columns, cross-beams and cantilever brackets used to achieve the skewed span is particularly worthy of note. Sir Owen Williams, one of the most celebrated engineers of the modern movement era of design, was commissioned to design a number of landmark bridges along the route of the A9 road in the Highlands, working with the architect Maxwell Ayrton. Designed and built between 1924 and 1928, the bridges combine imaginative aesthetics with innovative structural design in reinforced concrete. The bridges were cast in-situ, which adds to their historic significance.
Williams is thought to have conceived these bridges to resemble alien forms within the landscape, yet having aged and weathered the bridges now blend quite naturally with their surroundings. There were eight bridges by Williams on the A9, the others being 2 twin arch bridges at Loch Alvie and Crubenmore, larger bridges over the Spey near Newtonmore and over the Findhorn at Tomatin, and a small single-span bridge also at Dalnamein (all listed seperately). Small bridges at Aviemore and Brora have been remodelled and remain unlisted.
This bridge is currently in poor condition as the concrete is suffering from decay. It is situated near Dalnamein Lodge on the old course of the A9. The smaller Dalnamein Bridge is located a few hundred yards to the West.
John Hume The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland Volume II (1977) pp210-1. David Cottam Sir Owen Williams 1890-1969 (1986). David Yeomans & David Cottam, The Engineer's Contribution to Contemporary Architecture: Owen Williams (2001).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.