2 CHESTERS ROAD, SCOTUS COLLEGE INCLUDING ARCHWAY AND FORMER STABLE BLOCK, BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS (Ref:50878)
This building is in the East Dunbartonshire Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 16/05/2007.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5351 7197.
Later 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay simple Classical house now forming part of Scotus College, with single storey and attic former servants' wing adjoining to NW and later alterations and additions including modern conservatory to N linking to later 20th century building. Fine interior with quality timber work and notable public rooms. Squared and snecked sandstone. Base course, deep overhanging band. Deep modillioned eaves.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: shallow steps to single storey flat-roofed Doric-columned entrance portico with pierced parapet to re-entrant corner at SE. Canted bay windows, wide round bay-window to W with pierced parapets. Bipartite and tripartite window openings with stone mullions, some with hoodmoulds. Pierced balconies to some 1st storey windows. Pair of pedimented dormers to servants' wing.
Predominately plate glass timber sash and case windows; multi-pane to former servants' wing. Grey slates. Corniced gable, wallhead and ridge stacks with decorative hexagonal cans.
INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Original room plan largely extant. Fine carved decorative timberwork throughout, especially to ground floor. Glass and timber entrance screen flanked by timber panels and sidelights. Timber panelling to hall and dado height panelling to public rooms. Semi-enclosed open-well staircase with timber balusters and handrail and square-plan newels; circular opening overlooking hall. Large, intricately carved timber chimneypieces to hall, and public rooms; one to hall with barley sugar twist piers; one flanked by niches with decorative painted glass to rear; others with overmantels. Decorative plaster cornicing, ceiling roses and plasterwork. One decorative timber ceiling. Contrasting marble panelling to bathrooms. Deep-set, architraved timber doors, some 4-panelled, others with oval pattern in timber and coloured glass. Working timber shutters. Some simple, classical fire surrounds. Some simple stained glass.
ARCHWAY AND FORMER STABLE BLOCK: to N. Single storey and attic former stable block with attached single storey 2-bay cottage to W. Tooled, squared and snecked sandstone. Large openings with part-glazed boarded timber doors. Pedimented loft opening breaks eaves. Pair of small glazed and louvred round-arched attic window openings to E. Coped skews and skew-putts. Deep, modillioned eaves. Grey slates. Adjoining wall to SE with large, roll-moulded, round-arched opening and blank shield motifs.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: to E. Coped rubble. Lower curved sections with decorative iron railings at entrance. Pair of polygonal-plan gatepiers with base courses, string courses and decorative low polygonal capstones. Each with 'CHESTERS' inscription.
Now known as Scotus College, this late 19th century former private house is particularly notable for its excellent interior. There is much quality timberwork throughout the principal ground floor rooms, such as the intricately carved chimneypieces, timber panelling and fine staircase. It is a good surviving example of the type of opulent and ornate interior which was popular in the more affluent households of the mid to late Victorian period. The associated stable block is well constructed, using the same materials and stone treatment as the house. Its attached round-arched entrance screen is of interest and adds a sense of grandeur to the courtyard area.
The exact date of the house is not yet known, although records suggest that it was erected by a Robert Henderson in 1873. It was initially know as Ledcameroch West although the name had been changed to Chesters by 1880. The owners of the house in 1880 were James and Eliza Kennedy - James was a timber merchant. The house was gifted to the Royal College of Science and Technology in 1952 and was a residential management college until it was purchased by the Roman Catholic Diocese in 1984. It became the National Seminary for Scotland in 1993.
2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1894-8). Mary McHugh, Chesters, history pamphlet, 1985. John Gifford and Frank Arneil Walker, Buildings of Scotland, Stirling and Central Scotland, 2002, p218.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.