Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

HUNTERS QUAY, MARINE PARADE, HUNTERS QUAY HOTEL (Ref:50810)

This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the Dunoon Burgh. It is a category C building and was listed on 01/02/2007.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: NS 18554 79022.

Description

Circa 1870 with additions and alterations c1900. Asymmetrical 2 storey and attic 5 bay T-plan villa with ornate Italianate and French Empire detailing. Extensions to S and W forming L-plan, square plan tower in re-entrant angle to rear and 2-storey conical roofed circular bay to SE corner. Smooth-rendered masonry. Base course, discontinuous band course and projecting cills. Keystoned round-headed openings to 1st floor.

PRINCIPAL (E) ELEVATION: timber entrance porch with decorative cast-iron brattishing to right of centre. Advanced bay to right with projecting tripartite windows with consoled architrave and corbelling to first storey; Venetian dormer to attic. Canted bay to left of porch with Italianate gable and blind oculus to gablehead. Conical-roofed circular bay to outer left with 6-light windows, battered base course and lead finial. Mansard and pitched-roofed additions to S and W.

TOWER: 4-stage square-plan with chamfered angle to SW corner, corbelled to square. Mock machicolations and gun loops. Tall steep French roof set on modillion eaves cornice; gabled lucarnes with small inset round arched windows and decorative brattishing.

INTERIOR: high quality Victorian interior with ornate white and polychrome plasterwork, carved doors, chimneypieces and other joinery to principal rooms. Glazed oculus set in cupola over stairhall; open well flying stair with wrought iron decorative balusters and carved newel post. Corinthian screen in entrance hall.

Plate glass set in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate with lead flashings. Shouldered and corniced wallhead stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Notes

The idiosyncratic mix of Scottish, French and Italian influences in the design of Hunters Quay Hotel makes a striking contribution to the streetscape. The mock defences on the tower are particularly worthy of note. The interior has many ornate features and is notable in particular for the stairhall with cupola, high quality timberwork and plasterwork. The house was originally built around 1870 and is named as Claver House on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map. It was substantially extended to the S and W and `aggrandised' around 1900. The building is now in commercial use as a hotel (2006).

References

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1862-77). F Walker, North Clyde Estuary; An Architectural Guide (1992) p130. F Walker, The Buildings of Scotland; Argyll and Bute (2000) p298.

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).