HILLFOOT STREET, DUNOON PRIMARY SCHOOL AND JANITOR'S HOUSE (Ref:50809)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 01/02/2007.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 17333 76577.
William Fraser, 1899-1901. 1907 additions by Boston, Menzies and Morton; gymnasium wing by Robert Cameron, 1934. 2-storey and attic 13-bay Free style Board School with Baronial and Gothic detailing. Prominent central castellated 4-stage tower and advanced gabled bays. Cement render with exposed sandstone ashlar long and short quoins and margins. Base course and string courses, moulded to 1st floor; some hoodmoulding. Mullioned and transomed bipartite and single light windows, round-arched windows with cinquefoil heads to 1st floor. Bracketed eaves; applied half-timbering to gable apexes at sides and rear
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: pointed-arch 2-leaf timber door with glazed vesica panels set in deeply recessed hoodmoulded surround at base of tower between diagonal buttresses at centre of near symmetrical NW (principal) elevation. Round headed windows at 1st floor, arrow slits at 2nd; modillion cornice between tourelles corbelled out at 3rd. Flanking advanced gable bays with projecting central sections and distinctive Venetian gothic arched windows at attic. Shallow pointed-arched openings to pends at recessed outer bays.
9-bay SE (rear) elevation with advanced gabled bay to left; Venetian-gothic arched window to gablehead. 2-storey 4-bay pitched-roofed projecting wing to right of centre. Small-pane glazing set in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Cast iron rainwater goods.
1907, 2-storey T-plan piend-roofed wing projecting to NE with Mackintosh inspired detailing. Base course and string courses. Pair of shouldered gables to N elevation.
INTERIOR: steel stairs with decorative cast-iron balusters. Timber panelling and tiling to dado. Timber trussed roof to assembly hall.
JANITORS HOUSE: single storey and attic cottage adjoining school with 2-storey projecting canted window with dentilled eaves cornice. Distinctive piended roof extending down over porch. Rendered masonry with exposed ashlar dressings. Multi-pane upper sashes and plate glass lower in timber sash and case windows.
Dunoon Primary School is a fine example of the board schools which were constructed in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and makes good use of a variety of international architectural motifs. The building is large and imposing and the tower is a striking landmark feature. As a whole the school makes a major contribution to the streetscape.
Prior to the 1870s schools were divided into four broad groups, parish or burgh schools, private academies, church schools and charity school. The 1872 Education (Scotland) Act made primary education universal and compulsory. This caused a huge demand for space to accommodate the influx of children and although existing schools were adapted, many new buildings were also required. This was particularly the case in the burghs and cities. Dunoon Primary demonstrates the architectural quality these buildings could display, particularly at the turn of the 19th/20th centuries.
The architect William Fraser had designed this building as an extension to an earlier school building, shown on the 2nd edition ordnance survey map, which burned down in 1958. Fraser worked with John McLeod in Glasgow and William Warlow Gwyther in London, before setting up a private practice in Glasgow. The firm of Boston Menzies and Morton, responsible for the 1907 additions to the school, began as the sole practice of John Boston but was taken over following his death by William Menzies and George Morton. Their notable works include the Greenock Masonic Temple and Clune Park Church in Glasgow. Robert Cameron was the Master of Works for the Argyll County Education Authority.
3rd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1914-15). F Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute, (2000), p233. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.codexgeo.co.uk
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.