STRONE, ST COLUMBA'S CHURCH OF SCOTLAND INCLUDING HALLS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS (Ref:5080)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 20/07/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 1926 8055.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Strone Church, early 20th century with mid-19th century sections, standing prominently on the Loch Long shore, is the work of Peter MacGregor Chalmers, one of the most prolific and well-known church-builders of the early 20th century in Scotland. The church, although relatively simple in form, contains a number of good features, including a mid-19th century tower remodelled by Chalmers and some excellent stained glass by the foremost ecclesiastical glaziers in the West of Scotland.
The first church was built in Strone in 1858-9. This appears to have been a gable-fronted building with a tower to the left and halls to the rear. Of this the 2-stage spired and battlemented tower and the halls (which were extended in the later 19th century) have survived. It is not clear why the existing church was insufficient but in 1907-8 MacGregor Chalmers was commissioned to build a new church. The tower was retained, but a new Romanesque entrance was formed in the base. The nave of the new church is to the rear of the tower, with an advanced gabled transept and a short S aisle. A rectangular chancel projects E. The windows to the original tower are pointed-arched while the 1908 windows are round-headed, cusped and rectangular. The materials from the old church appear to have been re-used on the exterior with Corrie sandstone on the interior.
The halls to the rear are simple - a plain rectangular structure parallel to the church, joined to the main body by a small link building.
Interior: the interior is relatively undecorated, with exposed squared rubble stonework. At the E is a wide round-headed chancel arch, with a single lancet in the chancel - the stained glass of Christ bearing the cross by Stephen Adam Jr.(1908) commemorates Hugh Highgate of Blairmore. In the W gable is a tall triple lancet, with stained glass of Christ entering Jerusalem (1925). Along the nave is a series of cusped lancets, including some stained glass - the best of which is a shepherd by George MacWhirter Webster, 1933. The aisle is separated from the nave by a three-bay arcade, with one circular and one octagonal pier. A moulded round-headed door leads S through the tower and another leads N into the halls. The roof is of arch-braced trusses, terminating in stone corbels with figurative carvings. The marble war memorial was taken from St Andrew's, Kilmun in 1937.
Materials: sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Ashlar spire. Slate roofs. Timber boarded double doors. Leaded windows.
Boundary Walls, Gatepiers: rubble boundary wall with Gothic sandstone gatepiers.
Peter MacGregor Chalmers (1859-1922), a noted scholar of Medieval Architecture is principally known for his prolific output of high quality churches, of which he is thought to have designed 150, including St Margaret's Episcopal church, Great Western Road, Glasgow (from 1908) and St Anne's Parish Church, Edinburgh (1911-13) (both also listed). Many of these churches were in a Romanesque style, usually with tall towers. Chalmers is also notable for the restoration work he carried out, including at St.Andrew's, Paisley and Iona. Within Dunoon and Kilmun parish, Chalmers also recast the interior of Kilmun church (1898-9) and designed Kirn Parish Church (1906-7).
Stephen Adam Jr, who carried out some of the stained glass work was the son of Stephen Adam, and himself one of the foremost Scottish stained glass designers of the early 20th century.
Ecclesiastical Building in use as such.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Donnelly, M., Scotland's Stained Glass (1997); Gomme, A and Walker, D, Architecture of Glasgow (1987), 180; Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992) , 136; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 471; Buildings of Scotland Notes, NMRS.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.