BENMORE BOTANIC GARDEN, BENMORE HOUSE NORTH LODGE, INCLUDING GATES AND RAILINGS (BLACK GATE) (Ref:5077)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 02/10/1984.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 1434 8558.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
The North Lodge at Benmore was built c1874 in conjunction with considerable expansion and improvement of the estate after it was bought by James Duncan and is likely to be the work of architect David Thomson. The lodge, although relatively simple in design, reflects the design of much of the main house at Benmore. The elaborate wrought iron gates and railings are equally important elements.
The 1½-storey lodge, Baronial in detail, is roughly L-shaped, with two gables at right angles at the entrance. The gables, the principal feature of the building, are crow-stepped, with a stepped corbel-table framing the upper floor windows. Each also has a hood-moulded bipartite on the ground floor. The entrance elevation, parallel to the drive, has a gable to the right, a central door, and a bipartite window to the left with a crowstepped gablet above. The entrance is through elaborate wrought iron gates, with hand-gates to either side and tall railings on ashlar quadrant dwarf walls. Fixed to the railings is a small George V letter box.
The lodge is currently used as a shop for the Botanic Gardens and the interior has been altered to accommodate this.
Materials: squared rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings, slate roof. Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows.
In 1870 the Benmore Estate was acquired by James Duncan, a Greenock Sugar Refiner. Duncan carried out many improvements to the estate, including extending the house and building a number of worker¿s cottages. This lodge belongs to the same period of improvement, circa 1874 and was built to serve a completely new entrance to the estate. Previously, the main entrance had been to the S, on the Glenmassan road where the Golden Gates now stand.
David Thomson (d1911) was a partner in the firm of Charles Wilson (1810-63) and may have carried out much of the work at Benmore in 1862, returning in 1874 to carry out work including the steading, lodge and extensions to the house.
Benmore estate is perhaps best known as the setting for Benmore Botanic Garden, run by the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. The garden and designed landscape is notable for the collection of coniferous trees, planted by successive owners since c1820.
Part of B-Group including Benmore House, the Steading, the Fernery, the Golden Gates, `Puck's Hut', Walled garden and the cottages to the E of it (see separate listings).
Within Benmore-Younger Botanic Garden Designed Landscape.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Forsyth, R, Memories of Dunoon and Cowal (1997); McLean, A, Chronicles of Cowal, Argyll, (2001); Land Use Consultants, An Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes, Vol 2, 1987; Walker, F.A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 132; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 144-6;. Walker, F A, Argyll and The Islands: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2003), 23-4; Information courtesy of David Younger (2004).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.