KILMUN, K6 TELEPHONE KIOSK AT KILMUN PIER (Ref:5067)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 23/06/1989.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 1711 8163.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
This K6 telephone box makes an important contribution to the group of buildings at Kilmun pier and is an example of a distinctive and universally recognised design.
K6 telephone kiosks, produced from 1936 to a design by Giles Gilbert Scott, are of cast iron with 3 sides of lying-pane glazing with narrow margin lights and a blind cast-iron panel to the rear. Each side is segmental-headed and the roof is saucer-domed.
The K6 is also known as the Jubilee Kiosk, commemorating the Silver Jubilee of King George V. It was at this time the GPO set up a committee to redesign the telephone kiosk for mass production, with a Jubilee Concession Scheme providing one kiosk for each village with a Post Office. Scott was asked to design the new kiosk in March 1935, and after approval by the Royal Fine Art Commission, the K6 went into production in 1936. The new K6 was constructed from cast-iron and painted Post Office red (in 1924 the same commission had decided on the colour red for the kiosk, as it was 'easy to spot and gave an authoritative and official character.'). The new box was based on Scott's 1924 K2 kiosk which had been classical in character with small pane glazing, a reeded Grecian surround and a Soanian dome (believed to have been inspired by that on Sir John Soane's tomb or the lantern above the mausoleum at the Dulwich Picture Gallery). Aware of new architectural trends, Scott applied a modernistic style to his older box. The Grecian fluting was removed but the Soanian dome remained, as did the curved corners (which added strength to the cast-iron panels, now designed to be bolted together and erected in a day). The most noticeable change was the glazing; the horizontal bars were moved side ways to create a broad central light with narrow margin lights. This was to improve visibility and resemble `moderne' architecture. The design of the box was so popular, it remained in production until 1968 when it was superseded by the K8 by Bruce Martin (the K7, by Neville Conder, was never widely used).
Part of a B-Group including Kilmun Pier.
British Architectural Library, Perspective Sketch by Scott for the K6 (circa 1935); Telecommunications Heritage Group (Queen Victoria Street, London), G.P.O Poster Showing the New Jubilee Kiosk (1936); Stamp, G., Telephone Boxes, (1989), 13-18.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.