RACHAN WOOD, MEMORIAL TO THOMAS TWEEDIE INCLUDING ENCLOSURE RAILINGS AND GATE (Ref:50604)
This building is in the Scottish Borders Council and the
Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/10/2006.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 12283 34703.
Circa 1855. Mausoleum of Thomas Stevenson Tweedie and his wife Benjamina. 3-bay symmetrical monument with ornate classical detailing, comprising sandstone ashlar rear wall with colonnaded front and sides. Polished granite incription panel to rear wall with panel above containing wreathed blind shield. 4 square-plan columns with Composite capitals surmounted by angelic heads supporting moulded architrave; winged globe to central bay. Large stone slabs to roof (see notes). Set within burial enclosure with dwarf boundary wall, railings and gate.
The Tweedie Memorial in a good example of monument architecture and is in an ornate classical style. It is evidence of the interest in elaborate funerary monuments that characterised much of the Victorian era. Although not large the memorial has a wealth of architectural details, most notably the Composite capitals and other carved detailing. This mausoleum is one of the last remaining structures of the Rachan House estate, the house itself was demolished in the 1920s. Thomas Stevenson Tweedie, having trained in Edinburgh, became Physician General to the East India Company. He was also the proprietor of an Indigo manufactory in Bengal. He returned to Scotland in the 1820s and, although he died at buried at Rachan in 1855. The memorial is currently in a poor state of repair and the roof over the right hand bay has Quarter, he was collapsed. (2006).
1st Edition Ordnance Ordnance Survey Name Book, Book 3, Sheet 16, No 5 (c.1855), (RCAHMS, Reel 131, Book3). Survey Map (1855-8). The Tweedie Archive available at www.tweedie.org.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.