ARDENTINNY, BLINKBONNY, RAGLAN, FERN COTTAGE AND GLENCAIRN, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:5057)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 20/07/1971.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 18814 87551.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning AuthorityThis group of earlier 19th century cottages at the N end of Ardentinny village, facing E over the sea makes a significant contribution to the streetscape in Ardentinny. The cottage group includes an earlier 19th century school, added on to the N end of the row. The row consists of what is now four cottages, the three southernmost in a straight line, with steeply-pitched slate roofs and slated dormers. To the N, at an angle, is the octagonal-ended piend-roofed former school. Their early date and contribution to the parish is significantThe date of construction of the cottages is uncertain. However, an early 19th century date is most likely and it is possible these are the buildings which appear next to the river on the 1824 map by Thomson. The cottages are likely to have been related to the estate at Glenfinart. This original row probably consisted of three cottages, with a smaller one in the middle. However, it has also been suggested that the middle cottage may have been a smithy (information from a resident, 2004). The steep pitch suggests these cottages were originally thatched. Blinkbonny is 4-bay and asymmetrical, with a flat-roofed porch and slated dormers, Raglan single-fronted with a bowed ground floor window, a bipartite dormer and a gabled timber porch and Fern Cottage 3-bay with a gabled porch and piended dormers. Glencairn has the half-octagon end, with large chamfered-margin windows, and a single dormer. The estate of Glenfinart was purchased by Archibald Douglas in c1837 and a number of improvements carried out to the area. This included the construction of the church immediately to the N of the cottages in 1838-9. Also at this time (c1842) Mrs Douglas of Glenfinart constructed the octagonal-ended school to the N of the cottages. The Statistical Account of 1845 mentions a house for the teacher adjoining a new school. The new construction is distinguished by the use of more ashlar dressings and considerably larger windows facing N. This rebuilding probably also involved slating the roofs of the remaining cottages. On the first edition O.S map of c1865 there are outbuildings to the rear of the two cottages to the S. These have been extended by c1898. At present (2004), there are rear extensions to all 4 cottages, only those at Blinkbonny Cottage pre-20th century. At Fern Cottage, the outhouses are probably those of the older school. The school was replaced in 1893, and appears to have been amalgamated with the schoolteacher's house to form a larger cottage. Since then there have been some changes to the cottages. The school and teacher's house have once again been divided to form two cottages. Interiors: the interiors of Blinkbonny and Raglan cottage have been modernised. Access to Glencairn and Fern Cottage was not possible at the time of resurvey (2004).Materials: white painted rubble with some ashlar dressings, particularly to Glencairn. Grey slate roofs, stone stacks with clay cans. Predominantly multi-pane timber sash and case windows. Boundary Walls: stone rubble boundary walls with semicircular copes to the road.
B-group with Ardentinny Church (separate listing).
Thomson, J. Atlas of Scotland 1824; Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); New Statistical Account for Scotland (c1845); Davis, M., The Lost Mansions of Argyll (n.d.); Ardentinny Church and Village Story, (pamphlet, n.d.); Walker, F.A and Sinclair, F., North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 138; Walker, F.A., Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 113; Information courtesy of the owners (2004).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.