STRONE, SHORE ROAD, DUNSELMA LODGE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS (Ref:50447)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 19315 80605.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
This Lodge formerly served Dunselma, immediately to the N. Dunselma and associated buildings were built for James Coats Junior to the designs of architects Rennison and Scott in 1885-6. The Lodge is part of a complex of buildings that are the ultimate expression of the conspicuous wealth of late 19th century industrialists. The Lodge, as well as being an attractive building in its own right, making a significant contribution to the group of buildings along the Strone shore, provides an introduction to the architecture of the main house. The interior details echo those of the main house, with a fine timber staircase, and plasterwork containing Coats family crests and symbols.
The lodge consists of a double- gabled front elevation with a conical-roofed turret in the SW corner. The central entrance is round-arched, under a stone balcony on heavy consoles. There is a variety of window details, included a triangular bay with a stone roof, a canted bay with crenellated parapet and decorated pediments. A number of the details of the main house, such as the crowstepped gables and corbelled tower are repeated in the lodge. The stonework on the exterior is of extremely high quality, including animal carvings. The lodge was initially smaller, but parts of the rear and SW elevations have been raised to form a second storey and a small lean-to shed has been attached to the rear.
Interior: the interior is particularly rich for a lodge, with an oak staircase and panelling, as well as fine plaster work in a number of the rooms. Designs include the serpent from the Coats family crest. Parts of the interior have been modernised. For example, the fireplace on the NE reception room has been replaced.
Materials: harled with sandstone ashlar dressings. Grey slate roof with stone ridge. Ashlar stacks and clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods. Timber sash and case windows with plate glass. Timber boarded outer door. Inner door glazed with etched glass.
Boundary Walls, Gates And Gatepiers: low harled boundary walls to the front with chamfered ashlar copes. Square-plan ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal capstones. Heavy cast iron gates.
James Coats Junior (1841-1912) was the grandson of Sir James Coats, the Paisley cotton millionaire. He was the president of the Royal Clyde Yacht Club and is known to have owned 16 yachts. Coats¿ main house was Ferguslie in Paisley (demolished).
The house later belonged to Walter Bergius (another keen sailor) of the Bergius Engine company, later the Kelvin company.
Little work by architects Rennison and Scott is known. It appears they worked mostly for the Coats family. J.A Rennison designed Carskiey House (1904-9) in a Scottish Vernacular idiom on the Mull of Kintyre for Kate Coats (Walker, 2000, 62). The only only other known house by the practice is Cartside House, Renfrew, of 1880.
The complex at Dunselma included the main house with lawns to the front incorporating a tennis court, the stables and staff accommodation on the High Road and the Lodge, Boathouse and a large palm house (since demolished) on the shore.
B-Group with Dunselma, Dunselma stables and The Boathouse.
Ordnance Survey 2nd edition (c1898); Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 137; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 62, 472; Information Courtesy of the Owner and a local resident (2004).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.