STRONE, DUNSELMA STABLES INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:50441)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 1922 8077.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Dunselma and associated buildings were built for James Coats Junior to the designs of architects Rennison and Scott in 1885-6. The Stables and Cottage are part of a complex of buildings that are the ultimate expression of the conspicuous wealth of late 19th century industrialists. This building is an important part of that set of buildings, prominent in views both to and from the main house and reflecting the architecture of Dunselma. The L-plan 1½-storey buildings consist of stables and staff living quarters.
The stables are assumed to have been built at the same time as the main house at Dunselma. The principal elevation is to the High Road, facing SE. This asymmetrical elevation has a crow-stepped gable to the right and a pointed dormer to the left. The windows are single and bipartite with stone mullions, the single door round-headed. The return elevation, facing the main house and perhaps formerly the principal elevation, has two advanced crowstepped gables. The building is decorated with moulded string and eaves courses and decorative hood-moulds throughout. The inside elevations of the courtyard have regular fenestration and pedimented dormers. The entrance to the courtyard is to the NE. Formerly there was a small L-plan greenhouse to the NE of the courtyard but this has since been demolished.
The stables fell into disrepair through the later 20th century. At the time of the resurvey (2004), restoration work was in progress. The ventilator spire and wind-vane had been removed for re-leading.
Interior: although the stables have lain empty for some time, the timber boarding survives to many of the rooms, with some decorative timber ceilings.
Materials: harled with sandstone ashlar dressings. Partly slated roof with stone ridge. Ashlar stacks and clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods. Timber sash and case windows.
Boundary Wall: high harled wall with pointed ashlar coping.
James Coats Junior (1841-1912) was the grandson of Sir James Coats, the Paisley cotton millionaire. He was the president of the Royal Clyde Yacht Club and is known to have owned 16 yachts. Coats' main house was Ferguslie in Paisley (demolished).
The house later belonged to Walter Bergius of the Bergius Engine company, later the Kelvin company.
Little work by architects Rennison and Scott is known. It appears they worked mostly for the Coats family. J.A Rennison designed Carskiey House (1904-9) in a Scottish Vernacular idiom on the Mull of Kintyre for Kate Coats (Walker, 2000, 62). The only only other known house by the practice is Cartside House, Renfrew, of 1880.
The complex at Dunselma included the main house with lawns to the front incorporating a tennis court, the stables and staff accommodation on the High Road and the Lodge, Boathouse and a large palm house (since demolished) on the shore.
B-Group with Dunselma, Dunselma Lodge and The Boathouse.
Ordnance Survey 2nd edition (c1898); Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 137; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 62, 472; Information Courtesy of the Owner and a local resident (2004).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.