STRONE, CHOILLE BHEAG INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGS, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES (Ref:50440)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 1808 8114.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Choille Bheag, a roughly rectangular-plan Italianate villa of c.1850 located in a prominent position above the Shore Road, is among the best of the villas along the Kilmun/Strone shore. The house is a good and intact example of the type and retains many original features as well as the stable and coach block to the rear.
The 1½-storey house consists of a principal south-facing elevation with a projecting shallow-pitch gable to the E. The entrance, in a separate gabled porch, is in the re-entrant to the E. To the rear is a parallel block, gabled to the E. Decorative details include corbelled eaves, a pierced balcony above the canted bay to the front gable and a variety of window surrounds, as well as raised quoins and a band course. To the rear of the house is a 2-storey stable/service block.
The main (S) elevation of Choille Bheag consists of a gable to the E, with a single-storey canted bay, with a pierced balcony to the pedimented window above. To the left (W) is a single-storey block. To the E, the gabled entrance porch has steps to the S with a pierced stone parapet. Behind this main block is a parallel 2-storey block, with an E-facing gable and a further N-facing gable. These elevations have a heavy channelled base course and wide margins and eaves course. The shallow-pitched gables have heavy stone corbels. The windows have either heavy corbelled overwindows or moulded surrounds.
Interior: the house retains a number of original interior features, such as the stone stair, with cast iron balusters and some good plaster cornices.
Materials: squared whin rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings. Timber sash and case windows. Predominantly plate glass lower sash and 6-pane lying-pane upper. Slate roof, stone skews, stone stacks and clay cans.
Outbuildings, Boundary Walls: to the rear of the house and across a narrow lane is a 2-storey service block, with external access to the upper floors at the gables.
The house is surrounded by a rubble boundary wall, with the entrance through a cast iron gate with square-plan gatepiers. Originally, the garden to the house extended further towards the sea but the road has since been straightened, reducing its size. The gate has also been moved from a position further W.
Although Kilmun is an early settlement, it remained a small village until the 1820s. From 1827 David Napier, a marine engineer, purchased land along the shore of Loch Long, built a pier, a hotel and several villas (Including the `Tea Caddies' - also listed) at Kilmun and opened a new route from Glasgow to Inverary via Loch Eck, which led to the development of the area as a popular resort and a string of villas as far as Blairmore.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.