STRONE, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 HIGH COTTAGES (Ref:50439)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 1882 8087.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
The High Cottages in Strone, built well above the shore overlooking The Holy Loch, are a striking example of later 19th century timber building and prefabrication. The cottages have a picturesque quality and contribute to the area. Their relative rarity and their historical importance in relation to the development of the Benmore estate by James Duncan adds to their interest.
Consists of a row of six terraced two-storey houses, timber framed and horizontally clad, with decorative bracketed eaves and door canopies. To the rear are single-storey lean-to projections. Each of the cottages has a small, steep garden to the rear.
Interior: the interior of only No.2 was seen during the course of the resurvey (2004). Although somewhat modernised, many of the internal walls are of timber boards and a cast iron fireplace also survives.
Materials: timber construction. Purple slate roofs with clay and metal ridges, brick stacks, clay cans. PVC and timber casement windows, some timber sash and case to rear of nos. 2 and 3. Predominantly later doors, but a number of original boarded timber back doors survive - at Nos. 1, 2 and 3.
The High Cottages, or Brae Cottages were built in the 1870s by James Duncan of Benmore who purchased the estate in 1870. The cottages are said to have been for mining workers at James Duncan's silver and lead mines. Duncan is known to have experimented with a number of non-traditional building types on his estate and for his mining concerns and a number of types survive - such as the timber-clad square-plan Glenmassan Cottage (2006) and Faith, Hope and Charity at Gairletter and the concrete cottages by Benmore Home Farm.
Ordnance Survey 2nd edition map (c1898) Information courtesy of a resident (2004). Postcard c1910.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.