KILMUN, SHORE ROAD, FINNART INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, ANCILLARY BUILDINGS AND SUNDIAL (Ref:50437)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 16735 81990.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Finnart is a good example of an early-mid 19th century villa with fine later architectural details, many of which are executed in cast iron. It is also one of the earlier villas in Kilmun. It is of interest for its early date, classical design and Greek details and the survival of many interesting decorative features. Finnart is a T-plan symmetrical 3-bay single storey and dormer villa pitch-roofed villa with a large verandah to the side.
A house appears on this site as `Lamond's Feu' on a 1839 map (Waterston). It is most likely that this smaller, simpler house of c1830 was upgraded later in the 19th century. The projecting square bays to the front and large, wide dormers all appear to be additions of the later 19th century. The house is deceptively large, with a substantial 2-storey wing extending N to the rear. The central 2-leaf timber door, flanked by cast iron Corinthian pilasters, is reached by stone steps with cast iron balusters. There are two wide tripartite dormers, with slated cheeks and piended roofs. The centres of these dormers are pedimented, with palmette finials to the apex. Between these is a round headed central dormer, also with a palmette finial and scrolls to the side, all of cast iron and from the foundry of Walter MacFarlane and Co. To the E side of the house is a steel and cast iron verandah, probably late 19th/early 20th century, which has since been filled in to form a porch. The verandah is particularly interesting as it is made from McFarlane and Co. bandstand components, including the columns, palmette drip frets and railings.
Interior: access to the interior was not possible during the course of the 2004 resurvey.
Materials: predominantly rubble, with sandstone to bays. Cast iron decoration to dormers. Grey slate roof, stone chimneys and polygonal clay cans. Stone skews. Timber sash and case windows; predominantly plate glass.
Ancillary Buildings And Boundary Walls: closer to the road and to the W of the house is a lodge and coach house in a semi-ruinous state (2004): a dormered 2-storey structure with a gabled porch to the West. In the South wall, facing the road, is a modern square-headed garage door. In the garden to the rear of the house is an octagonal timber garden house with a lead pagoda roof, probably early 20th century. Directly in front of the house is a small sundial on a fluted column. In the SE corner of the site are ruinous greenhouses and outbuildings. The house is surrounded by rubble boundary walls.
A list of feuars to the Benmore Estate gives the date of the first feu as 1830 and the owner as a Mrs Alston.
Although Kilmun is an early settlement, it remained a small village until the 1820s. From 1827 David Napier, a marine engineer, purchased land along the shore of Loch Long, built a pier, a hotel and several villas (Including the `Tea Caddies'- also listed) at Kilmun and opened a new route from Glasgow to Inverary via Loch Eck. Although Finnart is outwith Napier's feu, the development of the site belongs to the start of this period of expansion, which led to a string of villas as far as Blairmore.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Waterston, J, Outline Plan of the Estate of Kilmun, The Property of Alexander Campbell of Monzie (1839); List of Benmore Feuars, c1915 (Courtesy of Benmore Trust); Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 133. Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 359; Information on ironwork from D.Mitchell.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.