KILMUN, SHORE ROAD, CASHLIE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:50436)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 15699 82910.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Cashlie, a single-storey 5-bay astylar roughly C-plan classical house built c.1830, is a good example of a simple classical villa and one of the earliest villas along the Kilmun Shore. The house stands out for its position in the early 19th century development of the shore as well as for its formal design, including such elements as the impressive oval-domed entrance hall and distinctive Greek features.
Description And Development: Cashlie is marked on a map of 1839 on 'Lamond's feu,' and the house appears to have changed little since then. In the centre the entrance is through a concave profile door surround. There are raised moulded stone architraves to the front windows. The roof is piended and slightly bellcast with substantial ridge-stacks. Two projections to the rear enclose a small courtyard. These rear wings have been converted from service to domestic use.
Interior: the interior includes a large oval dome with a central lantern and a Greek frieze of griffins and vases, Greek key and palmette cornices and shell niches. The main reception rooms have cornices with Greek keys and palmettes and shell niches. Some original joinery survives, including panelled timber doors and shutters.
Materials: whinstone rubble with sandstone dressings. Predominantly modern windows. Graded slate roof, large corniced ridge stacks with polygonal clay cans.
Boundary Walls, Gatepiers And Gates: the house is bounded by rubble walls. A pair of substantial octagonal gatepiers, probably of 19th century origin with a cast iron gate, are a late 20th century addition to the SE entrance.
On the O.S. 1st and 2nd edition maps Cashlie is known as Kilmun Cottage. The house later (c.1864) became the home of the shipbuilders and steamship owners, the Campbells of Kilmun. In the early 20th century the house was bequeathed to the Glasgow Abstainers and was used by them in connection with the nearby Convalescent Home (see separate listing)
The buildings now known as 'Hollytrees' appear to have been built as outbuildings for Cashlie.
Although Kilmun is an early settlement, it remained a small village until the 1820s. From 1827 David Napier, a marine engineer, purchased land along the shore of Loch Long, built a pier, a hotel and several villas (Including the 'Tea Caddies'- also listed) at Kilmun and opened a new route from Glasgow to Inverary via Loch Eck. Although Cashlie is outwith Napier's feu, the development of the site belongs to the same period of expansion, which led to a string of villas as far as Blairmore.
Waterston, J, Outline Plan of the Estate of Kilmun, The Property of Alexander Campbell of Monzie (1839); Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); MacLehose (Pub.), David Napier, Engineer, 1790-1869, An Autobiographical Sketch with Notes (1912); Hope, I, The Campbells of Kilmun, Shipowners 1853-1980; Further information courtesy of the owners (2004).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.