KILMUN, GRAHAM'S POINT, MEMORIAL TO JAMES DUNCAN (Ref:50435)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 1747 8122.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
This memorial to James Duncan, the owner and improver of Benmore estate, is situated off the road at Graham's Point. The memorial, erected in 1906, commemorates Duncan's achievements in the locality. Designed by A. Macfarlane Shannon, the memorial consists of a grey granite obelisk on a high plinth of grey granite with inset pink granite slabs. On the NE face of the obelisk is a bronze low-relief bust of Duncan. To the base of the plinth on the SE, SW and NW sides are drinking troughs for animals. The memorial was originally a working drinking fountain, with spouts and animal drinking troughs on three sides. However, it no longer functions. The inscription on the plinth has also been lost.
Materials: Grey and pink granite, bronze plaque.
James Duncan, a Greenock Sugar Refiner, purchased the estates of Bernice, Kilmun and Benmore in 1870. He was responsible for much of the planting which still survives at Benmore. While in control of the estate, Duncan carried out a number of improvements, such as discovering and mining tin and lead at Gairletter. Duncan also built numerous houses and a hall at Strone (since demolished).
The sculptor responsible for the design was Archibald Macfarlane Shannan (1850-1915). The contractors were MacDonald and Co., Aberdeen Granite Works, Glasgow. The Memorial was unveiled in 1906. The location of the memorial can be explained by the fact that the main road followed the coast around Graham's Point, which was within the grounds of Finnartmore.
Builder, xci, p438; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 359; Buildings of Scotland Notes, NMRS; McEwan, P, Dictionary of Scottish Art and Architecture (2004), 507; Information courtesy of local residents (2004).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.