KILMUN, EACHAIG BRIDGE INCLUDING STONE PARAPETS (Ref:50433)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 15480 83112.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Eachaig Bridge, a single-span wrought iron double warren lattice truss bridge was built in 1885 to replace an earlier timber bridge and accommodate heavier traffic. There is an increasing rarity of unaltered wrought iron bridges, of which this is a good example, with interesting details. The bridge also reflects the late 19th century increase in road traffic, as scenic excursions from Dunoon north became more popular.
The lattice trusses have extensive side bracing and heavy cast iron hand rails. The deck, unusually, is half-way up the trusses. To either end are ashlar dies and splayed ashlar parapets. An early design for the bridge (RHP 82894) shows a more decorative castellated die.
On either side of the bridge are plaques reading `Echaig Bridge Erected by the Trustees of the Dunoon district of roads, Argyleshire' followed by a full list of the trustees and `Richard Gallen Surveyor Dunoon and Cowal roads since 1860'. The engineers were Bell and Miller, Westminster and Glasgow and the contractor Hanna, Donald and Wilson, Paisley.
From the 1880s scenic road tours began to be more popular in Cowal. The Loch Eck Tour travelled North along the loch from Dunoon or Kilmun. At the same time, attractions such as the picture gallery at Benmore attracted large numbers of visitors.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Inglis' Guide to Dunoon and Environs (1883); Elevation of Proposed Bridge, Bell and Miller (1884), Register House Plan 82894.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.