GLENFINART HOUSE WALLED GARDEN INCLUDING WELL AND ANCILLARY BUILDINGS (Ref:50431)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category B building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 1877 8851.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
The walled garden at Glenfinart is a good example of an early 19th century walled garden and an unusual shape, with a bowed E wall and a curved SW corner. It contributes to the remains of the estate of Glenfinart.
Glenfinart House was built c1837 on the site of a residence of the earls of Dunmore. The walled garden probably dates to this period. What survives of the garden is a large wall c3m high of rubble with flat sandstone capstones. There are 2 main entrances, to the W and to the S. The 1st edition OS map shows the main range of buildings on the N wall with greenhouses on the interior. However, none of the greenhouses survives and the brick buildings are ruinous. The shape of the walled garden is unusual ' the SW corner is curved as the river cuts off the corner. The E wall is a long, curved wall. Immediately to the N of the N wall is a water feature, with a roughly formed vault over a stream.
The New Statistical Account of c1845 refers to the `extensive and beautiful plantations' of Archibald Douglas at Glenfinart (Vol 7, 586), which suggests that by then quite formal gardens had been established. On the 1st edition map a number of other structures are associated with the walled garden, including what appears to be a fernery or palm house to the W (now demolished).
The estate was purchased by the Leschallas family in 1895-6 and work was carried out to the house and surroundings. The OS map of c1898 shows more extensive greenhouses within the walled garden.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); New Statistical Account For Scotland; Davis, M., The Lost Mansions of Argyll, nd, 42. Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 138; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 113; Buildings of Scotland notes.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.