BLAIRMORE, SHORE ROAD, BLAIRMORE HOUSE, LODGE (Ref:50427)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 19508 81830.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Blairmore House, of 1858, is one of the premier marine villas in Blairmore. This lodge is an integral part of the composition and the design corresponds to that of the main house. It contributes to the streetscape of Blairmore.
The small lodge, with a rounded corner to the road (SE) has a slate roof with a large coped central chimney, heavy rusticated consoles matching those on the main house and a concave moulded door surround. The symmetrical S elevation has a central entrance and flanking bipartite windows.
Interior: admission to the interior of the lodge was not obtained during the course of the 2004 survey.
Materials: harled rubble, sandstone dressings. Grey slate roof, stone stacks and clay cans. Timber doors, timber sash and case windows.
Blairmore House was built in 1858 for Hugh Highgate, a Paisley fish oil refiner. The Highgate family had a number of properties in the area including Mossgiel and Vine Cottage in Blairmore. It was they who built the Alliance Church in Strone (now known as Highgate Hall).
The settlement of the W shore of Loch Long was a continuation from the development of Kilmun and Strone, which began in the late 1820s when marine engineer David Napier feued a three mile stretch of land from Campbell of Monzie and ran daily steamer connections to Glasgow. Blairmore pier opened in 1855, encouraging development northwards.
B-Group with Blairmore House. The balustraded walls and gatepiers are listed with the main house.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); List of Benmore Feuars (c.1915) (Courtesy of Benmore Trust); Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 147; Information courtesy of J Valentine; Postcard c. 1910.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.