BLAIRMORE, SHORE ROAD, BANNACHRA, INCLUDING COACH HOUSE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS (Ref:50424)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 19384 82781.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning AuthorityBannachra (1861) is one of the better examples of villas on the Shore Road remaining in substantially unaltered condition and with its original coach house The house has a number of decorative features, such as the corbelled and pierced stone parapets. Bannachra, a rectangular-plan 3-bay 2-storey villa with a gabled front, also makes a significant contribution to the collection of buildings along the shore. The central entrance to Bannachra is in a basket-arched doorway with sandstone voussoirs. Above this is a tudor-arched window in a half-dormer. To the left of the door there is a tripartite window, above which is a false parapet with pierced quatrefoil stonework. On the first floor is a round-arched window. The gable on the right which, unusually, does not project from the front of the house, has a canted bay on the ground floor, a pierced quatrefoil parapet and a hood-moulded tripartite window on the 1st floor. A greenhouse is attached to the S elevation. To the rear of the house is a single-storey piended ¿roof projection. The house appears to have survived substantially as on the 1st edition O.S. map. On the 2nd edition map there is an extension to the rear of the coach house, but this appears to have been removed since. A window on the S elevation has recently been converted to form a door. Interior: access to the interior was not possible at the time of the resurvey (2004). Materials: painted rubble with sandstone dressings. Graded slate gabled roof. Stone chimneys and polygonal clay cans. Timber sash and case windows, predominantly plate glass, but with lying-pane glazing to the sidesCoach House, Boundary Walls: to the side of the house is a 2-storey coach house, typical of those found in the locality, with projecting voussoirs on the depressed coach arch as on the main house and a round-headed window on the first floor. The house is surrounded by rubble boundary walls, with a cast iron gate on square-plan stone gatepiers.
Built in 1861 for Arthur Anderson, a Glasgow Wine and Spirit merchant (Information courtesy of the owner, 2004). The settlement of the W shore of Loch Long was a continuation from the development of Kilmun and Strone, which began in the late 1820s when marine engineer David Napier feued a three mile stretch of land from Campbell of Monzie and ran daily steamer connections to Glasgow. Blairmore Pier opened in 1855, encouraging development northwards (Walker, 2000, 147).
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000); Information courtesy of the owner (2004).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.