BLAIRMORE PIER (Ref:50419)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 19581 81734.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Blairmore Pier, a hammerhead plan pier of timber pile construction is a crucial part of the development of the Holy Loch and the W shore of Loch Long. The piers of Blairmore, Strone and Kilmun served steamer traffic and hence made commuting to Glasgow a possibility. The pier is thus the reason for and the focus of the village of Blairmore.
The first pier was built at Blairmore in 1855 (McCrorie and Monteith, 1982, 43) to the designs of G Smith, Engineer. This appears to be largely that same pier, although a substantial improvement in 1873 (Ordnance Gazetteer, 1882) appears to have involved the extension of the pier head to almost twice its original width and length. The pier was modelled on that built in Kirn in 1845, with a break in the middle for a cattle ramp (McCrorie and Monteith, 43). No traces of this ramp have survived. The pier is of timber piles and cross-bracing, with a timber boarded deck and timber railings (probably 20th century). On the pierhead is a small timber boarded building, again of the later 20th century, as an earlier photograph shows different pierhead buildings. Regular traffic to Blairmore eventually ceased in 1971.
Materials: timber piles, timber deck and rails.
the pier was built by Campbell of Monzie to serve and encourage further development N along the shore. Steamers to and from Arrochar and Lochgoilhead called regularly at Blairmore.
Blairmore Pier re-opened for traffic in 2005.
Part of a B-Group with Blairmore Hall and Ticket Office and Blairmore Place.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Ordnance Gazzetteer of Scotland (c1882); Smith, G, Plan of Portinstuck Pier, Blairmore (1857), Register House Plan 2759; McCrorie, I and Monteith, J, Clyde Piers- A Pictorial Record (1982); Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 135-6; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 147; Photographs, NMRS.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.