BLAIRMORE HALL (FORMER FERRY WAITING ROOM) (Ref:50417)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 19505 81731.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Along with the pier and the ticket office, Blairmore Hall is an important part of the marine heritage of Loch Long. The development of the Blairmore coast as a marine resort was made possible by the development of steamer services connecting with Glasgow. The set of buildings at Blairmore Pier forms a nucleus for the scattered development. This later 19th century hall, a simple single storey rectangular structure with round-arched openings, is central to the group.
Blairmore pier opened for business in 1855 and connected regularly with Lochgoilhead, Kilmun and Greenock. It is likely that the hall was built when the pier was improved in 1873 (Ordnance Gazetteer, 167). The building, which served as the waiting room and `Refreshment Rooms' (see early photographs), E-facing, is gable-fronted, 3-bays wide by 7 bays deep with regular fenestration along the sides. The gabled front to the road has the entrance to the right, with a round-headed doorway reached by three stone steps. To the left of this are two further round-headed windows. In the gable is a round clock in a stone oculus. To each side elevation there are similar round-headed windows, as well as large sliding doors to the W.
The OS map of c1898 shows a further building to the rear of this, but at present only a de-roofed lean-to survives. Early photographs show the hall with a sign across the front gable and decorative bargeboards.
Interior: the interior, consisting of one large room, is plain, boarded to dado height. The ceiling, at low collar height, is flat, with a plain cornice.
Materials: whinstone rubble with sandstone dressings. Timber sash and case windows. 2-leaf timber door. Timber boarded sliding doors to sides.
Blairmore pier eventually closed for business in the 1970s. The building is currently in use as a community hall.
B group with the Former Ticket Office, Blairmore Place and Blairmore Pier (see separate listings).
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Ordnance Gazzetteer of Scotland (c1882); Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 147; Information courtesy of a local resident (2004); Photographs, NMRS.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.