BLAIRMORE FARM INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGS AND FARM COTTAGES (Ref:50415)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 19093 83316.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning AuthorityBlairmore Farm illustrates the continuing evolution of farm buildings through the 19th century. There has been a farm at Blairmore since at least the early 19th century, which was formalised and improved in the 19th century. During the late 19th century, when the Benmore Estate changed hands, the farm was further improved, with the erection of a number of outbuildings in concrete. Although some of the late 19th century buildings have been demolished, Blairmore retains a number of interesting buildings including relatively rare concrete structures as well as a formal farmhouse. The farm consists of a 3-bay 2-storey double-pile farmhouse, a number of piend-roofed ranges to the rear and a pair of concrete cottages. The farmhouse at Blairmore retains an early 19th century house to the rear of the present farmhouse, visible as an almost separate 2-storey 3-bay block. On to this was built the front of the present farmhouse, more formal and mid 19th century, 2-storey, 3-bay with canted full-height outer bays and a central gablet. Probably at the same time a number of buildings were built, forming a three-sided courtyard to the rear. A long stone-built range has survived parallel to the house, as has the short S range, now with a corrugated asbestos roof. It is thought that most of the buildings were built in concrete in the 1870s. This includes a long S range, with a hay loft on the first floor, and a number of additions to the N, including stables, opening on to a cobbled yard. A large byre filled the new courtyard formed by the new N and S range. The byre, a timber construction on cast iron columns, has since been demolished, leaving only the columns. In the 20th century the farm has continued to expand, with the construction of a number of corrugated iron sheds. Interior: a number of features survive in the farmhouse, including an arched marble fireplace, a timber stair with cast iron balusters and original joinery. Cottages: to the S of the farm buildings is a pair of semi-detached L-plan piended slate roofed concrete cottages with S-facing bipartite timber sash and case windows. The interior of the cottages was not seen during the 2004 surveyMaterials: stone rubble farmhouse with sandstone dressings. Slate roofs. Timber inner and outer doors. Predominantly modern windows. Stone ridge-stacks and clay cans. Farm buildings of stone and of concrete. Predominantly slate roofs with some corrugated iron and asbestos replacement. Timber boarded doors and windows.
Concrete began to be used in farm buildings in the early 1870s. After the publication of an article in the Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society in 1874, use became more widespread. Examples in Scotland include those in Poltalloch and Sutherland estates (Wade-Martins, 2002, 136). However, the practice had all but been abandoned by 1890. A further two concrete cottages (now altered) were built nearby at Castle Cottages.
No buildings seem to be marked on earlier maps (such as Langlands, 1801) in the area now occupied by Blairmore Farm. On a 1839 (Waterstone) map several buildings appear, but this is obviously before the formalisation of the farm. According to the owner Blairmore Farm was the home farm for the Benmore Estate throughout the 19th century. When the estate was taken over by James Duncan it seems one of his sons acquired the farm. A number of improvements were carried out, including the construction of a system whereby hay was brought from the high meadows by way of an overhead cable, none of which survives (the owner, 2004).
The sheep fank to the SW is separately listed.
Langlands, G, Map of Argyllshire (1801); Waterston, J, Outline Plan of the Estate of Kilmun, The Property of Alexander Campbell of Monzie (1839); Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c.1863) and 2nd edition (c.1898); Wade Martins, S, A Century of Farms and Farming on the Sutherland Estate, 1790-1890 in Review of Scottish Culture, 10 (1996-7); Wade Martins, S, The English Model Farm: Building the Agricultural Ideal, 1700-1914 (2002);
Information courtesy of the owner (2004).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.