BLAIRMORE, FAIRY KNOWE INCLUDING COACH HOUSE, SUNDIAL, GATES AND GATEPIERS (Ref:50414)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 19448 81432.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning AuthorityFairy Knowe is among the best of the mid-19th century villas in Blairmore. Its highly prominent position allows it to be seen and appreciated easily from the Shore Road. It is thought to be the work of Charles Wilson, one of the most important Glasgow architects of the mid 19th century. The house survives in very good original condition, largely unaltered. Fairy Knowe is a roughly rectangular-plan pitch-roofed gable-fronted villa of c.1855, cottage style incorporating Jacobean details. The house sits well above the shore road on a steep hill, a position which gives it a view over much of the Firth of Clyde. The front (E) elevation consists of a central gable, slightly advanced, containing a canted bay with quatrefoil traceried parapet. To the left is a panelled timber door in a roll-moulded surround and a window. To the right a rectangular bay containing a tripartite window is surmounted by a half-dormer. The openings have strapwork pediments and there are ring-drip bargeboards to the central gable and dormer. There are two small blocks extending to the rear; that on the left (N) appears to belong to the original buildings, while that on the right is later. Interior: the interior contains the original joinery and doors, including one with painted glass, a fine panelled plasterwork ceiling and other details such as a tudor-arched stone fireplace. Materials: buff sandstone ashlar to the front, rubble to sides and rear. Graded grey slate roof, stone stacks and polygonal clay cans. Timber sash and case windows - predominately 12-pane to rear and 4-pane to front. Coach House, Boundary Walls etc.: the pitch-roofed coach house by the roadside is of rubble with a square-headed coach door and a basket-arched window above, a blocked-up archway to the side and accommodation on the first floor. The coach house is accessed through a cast iron gate on rubble gatepiers with quartz rubble capstones. The boundary walls are of rubble. The main entrance to the house is to the S, with cast iron gates and castellated square-plan gatepiers.To the front of the house is a sundial with a boulder base and urns on pedestals.
In the 1840s a number of Wilson's villas, such as a small house at Dunoon, were in the cottage style, which may include this house. A recent list of buildings by Wilson includes a design for a villa at Blairmore between 1855-7 and a villa for Hugh Reid ' which is thought to have been Glenconner, also at Blairmore (demolished) (Sinclair, 1995).
The house is thought to have been built for the Bald Family, dry salters (Information from the owner, 2004). It was also the home of the famous pathologist William Boog Leishman (1865-1926).
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); List of Benmore Feuars (c1915), Courtesy of Benmore Trust; Sinclair, F J, A Question of Style- Charles Wilson Architect 1810-1863 (1995); Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000) (Mistakenly identified as Tower Hill); Information courtesy of the owner (2004).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.