BENMORE BOTANIC GARDEN, BENMORE HOUSE, COTTAGES TO EAST OF WALLED GARDEN (RIVERSIDE AND ADJOINING COTTAGE) (Ref:50412)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
Dunoon And Kilmun Parish.
It is a category C building and was listed on 04/05/2006.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NS 1424 8573.
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
This pair of roughly L-shaped crowstepped dormered cottages, situated on the present main access road to Benmore House and Steading, is part of the development of the estate at Benmore, belonging to the period of expansion in the early 1860s. They contribute to the overall ensemble at Benmore, their style reflecting that of the principal buildings.
Description And Development: the principal block is parallel to the main road, rectangular in plan with crow-stepped gables. At the N end gabled wings projects E and W at right angles. Along this elevation are 4 regularly placed openings, including a door to the N. The entrance to the second (Riverside) cottage is in the S elevation, with the main gable on the right, beside which is a 3-bay facade with a central crow-stepped porch and two dormers, the space between them boxed. To the rear are lean-to extensions.
The cottages appear to have been built at the time of the ownership of the estate by James Patrick, who employed Charles Wilson to extend the house and build the steading. The principal block of these cottages probably belong to the same period and are likely to have been built for estate workers. In 1870 James Duncan purchased the estate, carrying out a number of improvements. It is likely the extensions to the S are probably of c1874.
Interior: the interior of Riverside cottage has little original fabric. Access was not gained to the N cottage during the 2004 survey.
Materials: squared rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings. Predominantly multi-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof. Stone stacks, polygonal clay cans.
Benmore Estate is perhaps best known as the setting for Benmore Botanic Garden, run by the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. The garden and designed landscape is notable for the collection of coniferous trees, planted by successive owners since c1820.
Part of B-Group including Benmore House, the Steading, North Lodge and Gates, the Golden Gates, `Puck's Hut', the Fernery and the Walled Garden (see separate listings).
Within Benmore-Younger Botanic Garden Designed Landscape.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); Inglis' Guide to Dunoon and Environs (1883); Land Use Consultants, An Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes, Vol.2, 1987; Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 132; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 144-6; Walker, F A, Argyll and The Islands: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2003), 23-4.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.